Quick Post

So...the horse I adopted from the kill pen turned out to be a flipper

So...the horse I adopted from the kill pen turned out to be a flipper
  • get rid of him.  Now!
  • Forget getting rid of him - just put him down.  That is way too dangerous.  I would hate to think of putting someone else in danger.
  • After reading jungle_cat's post, I thought about Tanya and wondered if she'd seen this thread, cuz I forgot.  I found her post that said "I guess you know now why he was in the kill pen".  Then I thought about the ladies I know on two different coasts of the country who work so hard to rescue from kill buyers.   They are spending 4 and 5 hundred on possible "killers" (not that it's their fault they're so dangerous) and you can get really nice horses for that much right now.  Many of which desperately need good homes.  Makes me wonder.  What if I worked to save a horse that ended up killing someone because he's a flipper.  "And he was so sweet and docile on the ground!  I don't understand it!"  Imp... I'm not directing ':D']
  • Having dealt with rescue Danes for more than a decade and lately rescue horses, there are some animals that cannot be helped. Just like there are animals with serious physical problems that can't be fixed, there are animals with other issues that can't be fixed. It isn't their fault and it isn't your fault, but sadly someone has to take responsibility. It is very easy for everyone to say it, not so easy to be the one who has to deal with it. Decide what you are willing and capable of doing for this animal without risk to yourself or others. Discuss it with your trusted vet and euthanasia may become the answer. We cannot rescue them all.
  • Out of curiosity I looked... and I found....

In case anyone wants to take a chance on this horse....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1NR-FGUYfw
  • Oh crap, the more I watch of those videos the more I can't believe people are still trying with those horses. 

Kylah, you're too valuable to too many other sane horses out there.

I did watch a heavy guy in a cutting horse competition and his poor little horse stumbled and flipped over on his head.  They were both okay but, when I saw the concern that guy had for his horse it made me cry.  He just went up and put his arms around that horse's neck and loved on him.  All those big cowboys did.  I've still got tears.
  • That's exactly what he did, too.  Just launched himself backwards.  I don't know how to cure a flipper.  Especially not an older one set in his ways.  I've dealt with younger ones that do it out of fear and usually with a kind, light hand you can redirect them and let them find other less destructive avenues until they forget they ever did it.  I have more experience starting horses and they never get put in the position to do such a thing.  However, being out of my league, I decided to go to that AllExperts site and ask one of the trainers there if he knew something that would help.  Unfortunately, I have a bit of a sense of humor when it comes to horses and it did NOT go over well.  I always think that if you can't laugh about a situation, then you might as well get out of the horse biz.  I also used part of my first post, but read what he has to say.
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Horses-Behavior-Issues-3329/2010/6/Flipping-www-thinklikeahorse-org-2.htm

• HA!  This was priceless!  "He didn't come with papers and an autobiography."
    In the "About Rick" they left out the fact he is under-endowed.  Seen it lots of times.  Plus you're smarter than he.  Maybe he just doesn't like women.
    Seriously, what in the world would make him come off like that?  I guess you're supposed to approach him bowing and scraping and bearing gifts. (but you DID compliment him!)  He never did answer what he'd do with a flipper.  What the heck DOES he do?  He probably never had to deal with one. 
    I sure don't know the answer but if you look at bad behavior, which I know this is what you did, he isn't happy with circumstances - he acts badly - circumstances go his way - it re-enforces his behavior.  BUT there must be others out there who don't have short-man complex who can speak with some intelligence about the situation.
  • Wow!!  I, like HS can't figure out what set him off like that.  No legitimate horse trainer I know would EVER respond like that!!

I'm going to send your initial email to an NHS trainer I've gotten help from in the past and see what she says and I guarantee she won't respond hostily!
  • Thanks for that.  Let me know if anyone comes up with anything.  If there is a "fix", I'd love to help this horse out.  (And not get killed doing it.)

HS:  Not married.  Got rid of an abusive ex and decided I loved the freedom and lack of control soooo much.  Too scared to sign up for that again.  Animals=Not scary.  People=Scary for me.  My son, though, made me sell my motorcycle because he said getting on bad horses was all that his nerves could handle and doing wheelies was just too much.  Good kid : )
  • ROFLMBO!  Wheelies?  Flippers should be second nature to you!  j/k
    Do I owe you an apology for calling you flippergirl in the morning thread?  Impdreams was too much for me at that time of morning.
  • I grew up with the name Kylah in the 70's and 80's when it wasn't cool yet to name kids something you couldn't pronounce.  So now I answer to anything with a big smile on my face : )  Even flippergirl.  LOL
  • I LIKE the name Kylah!  I remembered you, just not your forum name so I did the best I could.  I've been surfing around all day.  I better get off of here, though I have tomorrow off.  Boy gets his license tomorrow.... maybe. 

Keep us updated on your dunny boy.  I'm sorry he's been through stuff that's made him be so dangerous.  Just don't get on him!!  Or, if you do, be sure someone has your forum login and leave instructions for them to let us know what hospital you're in.

Oh that's just hilarious, isn't it?
  • Okay, here's what I got:

I have noooo idea what the problem could be there because I have no concept of what training has been put on this horse. Clearly it's dangerous and I wouldn't recommend riding it until these problems are worked out safely on the ground. I'd recommend calling in a natural horsemanship trainer to  see in person what the problems are there -- you can find one via my directory here: [color=#0066cc]http://www.naturalhorsetraining.com/FindNHTrainers.html[/color]

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but this is a serious problem that I think needs in person trainer help. And I'd strongly recommend he not be ridden for now until these problems are fixed on the ground. Almost every problem in saddle can be traced to a foundation hole on the ground. I'd start this horse over in training to flush out and fix those holes. Or let a professional do it since his problems are so serious now. 

-Syl
  • Thanks Dana.  I must admit I have no idea what the problem is either and here's the real kicker.  Even if I tried starting him from day 1 like he's never been touched before, I'm almost afraid to do something that might make him mad.  Like he wants to go down path A and I want him to go down path B and as a result he flips.  I hate this because nothing much about a horse's behavior bothers me, but I'm intimidated by him just because the speed and attitude with which he did it and the inability to tell the difference from the way he bucks from his flip since both start out by gathering the hind end.  I did inquire from some local trainers about assisting me with him and understandably because of the danger, I was turned down.  I'll go through the list your the trainer sent you and see what I can come up with.  Thanks again , especially for the time and effort you put in.  I truly appreciate it from you and everyone else who offered opinions and advice.  Thanks to you all.