Quick Post

Electric Fence - How do I get the horses familiar? Misha too!

Electric Fence - How do I get the horses familiar? Misha too!
  • Our property is 6 acres.  1.5 of those acres is in front of the house and has some wonderful grass that needs grazing.  So, hubby, put up an electric fence to section of that front part from the house.  We will test the fence tonight.  Then.... I want to take Little Bit and Ready Lady around the fence so they can understand what is there.  They have both been around hot wire fences before.  For this fence though we used the tape which is more visible.  That part would be new to both of them.

My question is:  Does anyone have any tips for me to show the horses the fence?  I mentioned that they have both been around it - but not under my watch.  I want to make sure they are okay and can hopefully understand what it is without having to experience it. 

Also, Ms. Misha, has never been around something like this.  I hate to have to keep her in the house while I have them grazing... Any tips for my 1.5 yr. old great lab (dane/lab) mix?  Hubby says it will have to be that she experiences it.[:o]
  • Did you use one strand or two?  If its just one you might want to lead them around the perimeter prior to turning them loose.  That way they can see and smell the boundary.  As for your "little" baby she may smell it but chances are she will touch her tail on it as she runs under.  Mine only had to touch it once and they were much more carfull about crawling under, not running under.

Good luck!  They'l like new grass.
  • Our silly dog never did learn to 'tuck his tail!'  (But he'd still run all over the place.  You'd hear this 'yip' and...you knew.  When you saw the dog, he'd be looking at his tail like he'd been offended or something!  LOLOL!
  • Best to just let them go ahead and learn respect the hard way.  Is it solar or AC?  You should touch it yourself so you can see that it's really not going to hurt them.  AC is worse imo.  My solar is like a good static pop.  My oldest son grabs it and holds on.  One time boywonder backed his butt into it, stood there against it and I was so ticked that it wasn't shocking him.  I was holding an extra t-post like a staff and grabbed that fence and YOWEE!  That goober-head tricked me but he got a big red spot on his butt! snicker
  • I always go around the fence line and flag the electric braid/wire. Just go get orange flag tape and place it every 6' or so. My kids use to have fun doing it (turn fenceing off first, unless you are good not to touch it). They learn very fast and besides they can feel the electical waves that come off it. Horses are very smart and sensitive to this. we have had new older horses as well as foals learn from the first day not to touch the wire.
  • I always lead my horses around the area so the get a feel of the boundries.  It is not a bad idea to flag the sections either, sometimes I do that too, especially if I move a fence line mid season on them.

As for the darling doggies, they figure it out.
  • keep the video camera ready,  in case you have some funny bucking and running
    animals.   LOL

at a stable I was at,  Owners mare had foal.   foal exploring, mare stopped eating keeping eye on foal,   foal starts checking out electric tape,   Foal jumps backward , bucking and jumping,  stops looks at fence,   momma just starts eating again, with a I see you found the fence look on her face.

• I've had no problem just turning the horses out in electric and letting them figure it out for themselves.  I've even done this with a mustang and a stallion who had never seen electric fence in his life.  One touch and neither one bothered the fence again. 

Just make sure you have a GOOD charge on that fence.  They will learn. 
  • Trainer - we did two strands.  One is sure to get Misha.

I will also mark it with the orange strands - thanks for that Curlgirl.

You guys are really great, I am obsessing over this - what is new as far as the horses and Misha are concerned.  I will try to get pics and will also let you know!
  • Whenever we are introducing horses to a new area, we walk them around the perimeter first.  This could maybe help with Misha, too![':)']
  • Walk them around perimeter and then let go and see what happens. We use two strands and I know what you mean. It is like that fear they are going to go through and keep on going. They know when it is on and don't like it. We have used it out west and it kept horses in and range cows out. One cow licked it and they all took off.
      As for the dog, stay out of the way if it does get them. HA. Our 100 lb 17 month old german shepherd was out there with us feeding and had a long leash on. I miscalculated how close he was to fence. He reached out and touched it with his wet nose which sent him into terror trying to get away which wrapped the leash around my feet, spun me like a top, and sent me flying. Except for a large bump on my head and  some bruises, we both survived! Then he was licking my face, wondering what happened. I dont think he has a clue what got him yet. But he stays away from that area.
  • So   4my   how did everything go with the horses and dog?

We need an update.  LOL

• [quote=SecondChance]

So   4my   how did everything go with the horses and dog?

We need an update.  LOL

I think we are all waiting to hear! 
    So....how'd it go??
  • Hi guys,

Okay this is where we are.  Hubby tested it and we aren't getting a charge.  Problem as he sees it is that we can't get the posts in deep enough because of the dang rock in the ground here in the hill country of Texas.  So... he says we will work on it this weekend. 

Hope we can get it working.  I am buying the orange tape as Curlgirl suggested and then walking everyone around the pen (including my precious Ms. Misha) to get everyone ready - like many of you said.  Stay tuned - more to come on this subject.

Ladyluck - love the story too.  Honestly I can see that happening to me - thank you so much for sharing!
  • Coulda been worse. Coulda been the horses that ran over me. Ha. Good luck. We have a lot of rock, too.