Quick Post

whats the right bit?

whats the right bit?
  • This is almost the same bit I ride my 3-4 year old in. He seems to like it, it keeps his mouth nice and wet with the copper inlay. The only difference is that mine has a fancy sliver decoration on the ring
    http://www.horse.com/Pro-Craft-Black-Snaffle-Training-Bit-WBA15.html
  • I'd start with the snaffle... they're almost always a good choice. ( =
    I like ones that are copper or sweet iron (or with the inlays), to help encourage salvation....
    I agree with hunter about the ground work. Set yourself up as the leader, start w/ basics, ect.
  • Ya. I have my sisters husband starting him out first. I have a reg. snaffle right now that we will be using. So the first ride will be today..I want him to ride a few times since its been about a year and a half...and hes barn sour to begin with!
  • I hope the ride went well! 
  • Hey. So just got back from the barn..I didnt ride him, but he walked away from the barn with no problem. He freaked out a little with the puddles, and a pole. But actually did really well. So I will just stick with a snaffle. Thank you.
  • Thanks for the update! Sounds like it was a postive experience.  I'd applaude you but the applauding smiley isn't here anymore.... [>:]
    Now where's all the pictures?? [':)']
  • First I think is great what you are doing.  So many older rodeo working horses are simply thrown away.

Having spent some time around rodeo's I am sure this horse was rode with something with a shank and chin strap.  I would you a basic snaffle with a shorter shank so you have some leverage and a little whoa when you may need it (when he is having issues around the barn). 

Second how do you ride, using your legs and hands?  What I mean is heavy handed, medium handed or light hands?  How do you use your legs and seat?

That may also have a factor on what bit you use.
  • I will take pictures next time! I was so excited I forgot the camera. He was def. ready to be ridden..he was so happy bein tacked up..almost brought me to tears..                    
    I was told he does need a snaffle with a shank so been looking....                    
    Thank you for that..he was thrown away..and he was neglected horribly..and he was angry at the world when i bought him..he even tried to bite me a few times. I think the time off he had is what helped. I gave him time to adjust to me and to being a horse who gets taken care of! Hes had a hard life..and am glad that hes ready and willing to be happy being ridden...I am going to have my sisters bf ride him another few times..than I will get on him..Im a beginner/intermediate rider..i know the basics but I get nervous and just want him to get a few more miles on him. I ride with a mild hand..try to use a soft hand and to not use my legs alot...
    Thank you all for your support..and I will def keep u all posted!!
  • Wow!  How awesome!  There's no way of knowing exactly what our rescue horses have been through but I think he's in the best hands now!  My Bullwinkle was nearly starved to death and that really messes with any animal's head.  He loves this new food and has been feeling really good lately.  He pins his ears at feeding time but I can tell you it's not about me!  It's about his pasturemate who's standing in line and Bully's gonna be first!  Or he'll have to kick some Zag tailfeathers!  I do understand when people want their horses to have happy faces before they can eat but when a horse is hungry, and he's been starved in the past, and his instinct is to fight off competition for that food....  I don't care what kind of face he makes!  I'm feeding him!  Anyway, I say all this to say, I'm glad you have kindness and patience.  Bully won't tolerate kisses and loving but he has his own way of showing me he loves me.  I just had to learn it.  He's a great horse who's been through SO much at the hands of rotten people - some that didn't mean to be rotten.
  • I always say that rescued animals make the best pets. Thank you for your support!!