Quick Post

Keeping in touch with last owners.

Keeping in touch with last owners.
  • [quote=makayla001]
    Question to hoyt, if you sold a good horse would you be interested to know if that horse was being sold at auction or being starved to death a year later?

To me, asking for updates doesn't seem crazy at all.

Would it matter if they were sold at auctions a year later. After the horse is sold I have no control of what is going to happen to it. I had one horse if it wouldnt have sold for what i wanted (less the meat price) i would have taken it to the auction a few weeks later.
    matt
  • [quote=hoyt_bowhunting]

[quote=makayla001]
    Question to hoyt, if you sold a good horse would you be interested to know if that horse was being sold at auction or being starved to death a year later?

To me, asking for updates doesn't seem crazy at all.

Would it matter if they were sold at auctions a year later. After the horse is sold I have no control of what is going to happen to it. I had one horse if it wouldnt have sold for what i wanted (less the meat price) i would have taken it to the auction a few weeks later.
    matt

Remind me NEVER to get a horse from You....It all depends on the sale agreement. I want to know where my horse ends up. Many people end up taking them back again when the buyer's situation changes or the horse goes up for sale again. That to me would be the only person I will buy from.. It is called responsibility.
  • I think hoyt is one of those "horses are livestock" people.  I think worse would be SELLING a horse to him!  [';)']
  • [quote=hunterseat]

I think hoyt is one of those "horses are livestock" people.  I think worse would be SELLING a horse to him!  [';)']

Horses are livestock, plain and simple. I take great care of them. Even thought one of my horses is fat right now. But if i dont get along with a horse, And if it is not going to work for what i want why keep it. Like my first horse the one that i would have took to auction was a 15 hand barrel horse that was scared to death of cattle, and had a habbit of rearing when i got her and never quit that habbit. I had a few choices keep her on my place to eat and do nothing. Sell her or take her to auction. I put a day she was going to be off my place and she was bought before that. She was a good horse. Healthy as all my animals are.  But if you dont get along with them there are tons of horses out there find on that works.
    matt
  • Ok, I have only read bits and pieces of this over the last couple of days. But my 2 cents are.

1. I am one of those horse are live stock people. Or horses are pets, not people. Would you not sell a horse to me?
    2. I have bought several horses over the years. And have sold all but one of them. None of the owners have ever stayed in contact with me. and I have not done much to stay in contact with any of the horses I have sold. I know some have died (of old age), many have been resold, and one is used as a broodmare. Of the ones that are still alive I don't know were any of them are. 
    3. Yes, I care who buys my horses. But no I don't think there needs to be a forever contact with these people. It is their horse now. 
    4. I don't have a problem with a someone who does stay in contact with there past horses either though. As long as that has been stated upfront. 

I actually agree with everything Hoyt said in the post above me. 
  • I think  "horses are livestock" and "horses are pets" are contradictory statements.  Would you place a beloved pet with someone who may or may not pass it along to someone else and possibly have it put down? 

I totally understand the "horses are livestock" sentiment.  I originally said that SORT of in hoyt's defense.  I'm not in the position to have horses as livestock.  I only have them because I want them as pets, to bond with, to take care of in sickness and in health....  till death do us part.  (okay, I'm really not married to my pets BUT..... if the shock collar fits....etc)

ASAP wants forever homes for their horses (I have 3 of their's) and I am obligated by legal contract to keep them updated on the condition and wherabouts.  I can only transfer them to someone who has been pre-approved by ASAP.  ASAP can visit my place any time.  I can't have one put down without prior approval from ASAP.  Of course - if it ain't a Standardbred, it ain't a horse. [':D']
  • Hunter, I had actually thought that as I wrote the whole livestock pet thing also. And I understand that you feel differently than I do, and that is ok. I just think that people who think that horses are livestock get a lot of slack. Which just doesn't make sense to me.

Bottom line for me, My "pets" "livestock" are important to me. But they will never be the biggest priority in my house. They need to have a job. Even if that is only making me and my family happy. I have given/sold many animals knowing that I would have no say in their future. Some have been put down. Some have died, and some have been sold. Some I don't know what happened to them. I sold/gave away the pet. Why do I have a right to decide what someone can do with them after I sold them. If I want to be in control of the pets future I should have kept them. 

I understand the whole ASAP thing. But I don't agree with it. (all the rules part) That is why I choice to never get my animals from them. You understand their rules and are willing to abide by them. That is your choice. But I don't know if I would be willing to buy a horse from someone who said I couldn't sell/put down an animal without their permission. I always do what is best for my pets. And sometimes that means moving them on to another home. 

I also think that animals should be treated kindly. I don't believe that abuse is OK. And I think it should be punished. I think that animal cruelty charges are to light. But I am also sickened at all the money people send to ASAP and places like that. Many have an abundance of funds to "save" every animal that comes in. Including many animals that shouldn't be. This bothers me when I see families struggling to pay for hospital bills. Or children in this country going without food and shelter. But I also think that everyone should have a right to put their money were ever they want. And if pets are more important to them than people well....

Oviously I have a soft spot for animals or I wouldn't have so many "pets". But I'm also not willing to sacrifice mine or my families safety/future for them.

I'm sure you wouldn't find it surprising to know (if you didn't already know) that I support slauder houses. I wish they were open and have even thought about taking a horse to one before. ( an old horse that could barely walk) Does that make me a bad person? I rather see horses and other animals go to slaughter houses and be used for something than to see them sit in fields dying from starvation or kept alive because someone don't want to put an animal down. But now that is another topic now isn't it. smile.

I love that we can talk about this with out getting upset. Again, just my 2 cents.
  • But I am also sickened at all the money people send to ASAP

You just crossed the "without getting upset" line.  It's interesting that you've studied their financial reports and still can be so wrong. 

What sickens me is how such a fabulously kind, good natured breed can be so exploited, making millions for owners, give the majority of their productive lives, often into their teens, never EVER seeing turnout, working grueling schedules 6 days a week, and then be tossed out like garbage and people like you get sick because others care to spend their money how they wish to try to rescue the very few that might be saved.

You can save your starving children argument.
  • Hunter, I owe you an apology. Please forgive me. I was thinking the SPCA. I couldn't remember the abreaction last night and thought it was ASAP. That is the honest truth.

Since I have angered you and that isn't what I intended I will leave the convo at this. My original point was that I don't think it is nessicary for people to stay in contact with there animals. I think you should pick the people you sell/give your horses to carefully. And I will leave it at that. But I still stand on everything I said. And I don't think that makes me a bad person. (not that you are saying that.) I value my animals. But that is what they are to me. 
  • I like to keep in touch with previous owners and the new owners. 

The breeder of one of my horses has actually been to my house and seen the now 2 year old filly.  I have kept in contact with the breeder of my 4 year old gelding and actually now have another baby from him. 

We got pictures of every baby one of our broodmares we sold had!  I think it has now been 3 since we sold her. 

With one of our horses, after purchasing we went out to visit the original owner and also breeder's farm and family.

I cannot think of one horse we have bought or sold with no contact after the sale.  We sold one horse this spring and already got photos of him at his new home.

It might sound crazy to you but that is what we have done.

• I love it when I get an update on a previous horse that I had. I wish that I could have kept track of all of them, but not all previous owners want to stay in t ouch.
    Some of the horses don't live too far away, and it's nice to know that I could go see them if I want to.
    A lot of it is curiosity. Say the horse was born on my property, grew up and was sold as a 3 or 4  yr old. I would like to know how the new owner is doing riding the horse, or if they ever breed her what the foal looks like.
    I agree that horses are livestock, and I don't keep ones that I don't get along with either.  The last horse that left me, the gal called her dream horse. I called him my nightmare. lol
  • [quote=hunterseat]
     ASAP can visit my place any time.  I can't have one put down without prior approval from ASAP.  [':D']

This is why I didnt and wont adopt a horse. I dont know if there is exeptions on the putting horses down without there approval. But i dont think it is right to keep a horse alive (while you try to contact them) if the vet is standing right there saying to put it down. I have also had to put someone elses horse down in the mountains, is it right to walk out and call them first. (this was when i was walking on a church trip and came across and guy who him and his horse fell down a small cliff. The horse had 2 broken legs.)
    matt
  • Sounds like you're all talking about foals, but what about older horses? I'd like to keep in touch with the people who I've bought my horses from, at least in the beginning. Especially if there are questions, and usually there are. I don't see anything in wrong in either party wanting to stay in touch, at least for a little while.
  • [quote=cowgirldude]

Sounds like you're all talking about foals, but what about older horses? I'd like to keep in touch with the people who I've bought my horses from, at least in the beginning. Especially if there are questions, and usually there are. I don't see anything in wrong in either party wanting to stay in touch, at least for a little while.

As i said my first horse was 5 when i sold her. And they asked if i wanted to keep in touch i said no.
    matt
  • For me, I only keep in touch if the other person wants to or it's a special case. For instance, several years ago I gave a horse to a gal with the express agreement that she would keep in touch and update me on his progress etc. He had a bucking problem I could not deal with, thus the free/stay in touch with me deal.   She only stayed in touch a short time then I had to practically stalk her(online) to get any updates.  I was not very happy about that.   The last horse I bought I agreed to send updates and pics as he had belonged to the lady's son who had passed on a few months earlier. I think it was very hard for her to sell him. As I rarely sell or give one away I don't have a lot of experience with that end. lol  

Basically, I feel it's a nice thing to do at least for a bit if both parties agree to it  I do not believe it's required and would have a problem if the seller got possessive.