Quick Post

Keeping in touch with last owners.

Keeping in touch with last owners.
  • Ok i dont know what to think of this. My girlfriend and i got a 1 year old filly this year. My girlfriend wants to send pictures to the person who bred and raised the filly. The people who we got her from has called me and asked how she is.
    Is it normal to keep in touch? Should she send pictures?
    For me once i sell the horse it is gone. I have had people ask if they should send pictures and updates and i always say no.
    thanks
    matt
  • I like to keep in touch with who I sell all my horses to.  I want to know where they are and how they are doing in their lives.

It also helps me keep track in case I need to buy/take one back for some reason
  • [quote=Broken A Ranch]

Take one back?????? Isnt is once they are sold they are sold????
    But i figure if you are selling babys you dont need to know anything about them till they are showing. Then you can get that info on NCHA Or other sites that have horse earning info. So you know what the get of the mare of stud earned
    matt
  • Another reason for staying in touch for at least 6 months (if your the breeder) is to make sure there are no congenital problems that might link back to your stud or mare. JMHO but with adult horses I guess I don't. I check out thoroughly who I 've sold or given too before I let the horse go and always say if they have a problem with them to contact me. 
  • [quote=hoyt_bowhunting]

[quote=Broken A Ranch]

Take one back?????? Isnt is once they are sold they are sold????
    But i figure if you are selling babys you dont need to know anything about them till they are showing. Then you can get that info on NCHA Or other sites that have horse earning info. So you know what the get of the mare of stud earned
    matt

Oh absolutely not.  I build relationships with people I sell my horses to, I think its the responsible thing to do. If for some reason that horse I sold is heading for a bad situation ( ie kill buyer) I feel that its my responsibility as a breeder to see if I can better that situation for him/her since I am the reason they exist in the first place.

Now obviously, there are some people who you will never hear from again and some you will become life long friends with.  That is human nature.  But I owe it to the stock that I create and sell, to see that their lives are good ones, to the very best of my abilities.

Also, I am aware that sometimes s*** happens, and if I am in a position (not that I always will be in a position) to help by re-homing or even making a final decision on that horse, I will be there to do it.

To me.. that is responsible breeding.  The process doesn't end when that animal leaves my home.  Its only a beginning.
  • [quote=MsEddi1]

Another reason for staying in touch for at least 6 months (if your the breeder) is to make sure there are no congenital problems that might link back to your stud or mare. JMHO but with adult horses I guess I don't. I check out thoroughly who I 've sold or given too before I let the horse go and always say if they have a problem with them to contact me. 

Yeah my friend bought a horse that got wabbles this year. Great blood and a good looking palimeno. But it didnt walk straight. It started to show when the horse weas 1 year old. He contacted the breeder just to tell them and they were mad he contacted them.
    matt

• Personally, I like it when buyers keep in touch with me. I get attached to my horses and like to know how they're doing. Especially when I sell colts, it's nice to see pictures of them as they grow up.
  • I like to know that horses that were bred, & foaled here are doing well.

I have made many friends along the way of selling & buying horses.

Many are repeat clients, it isn't good business to shut the door on potential sales.

Many other times sales have been to new or re-newed horse howners that need a support system to help them do what is best for the horse. They often look to the seller as a resource. Many new owners are hungry for knowledge that will help them be a better caretaker. They recognize horse ownership as a  substantial investment in both money, as well as time.

So yeah I stay in touch when I can. Sometimes it will be a yearly e mail with a pic just to let me know how it's going.
  • I've given updates on horses I've bought (like the PMU rescue where I got Cody from likes to post Before and After pics to show people how PMU babies turn out) and I've also followed up on horses I've sold just to make sure they are happy with the horse and that the horse is doing OK.  I don't have a problem with people checking up on horses I've bought.  I have nothing to hide so it doesn't matter ':)'
  • well i see the man i bought my horse from twice a year at the trail rides we go too. also if you kept in touch with the owner you could ask a question that came up about the horse you bought.  but if i sold  a horse i would like to know how they are doing.  its doesn't have to be every week,  but i would still like to know but if they didn't there is no control over that. 

• [quote=missygirl]

well i see the man i bought my horse from twice a year at the trail rides we go too. also if you kept in touch with the owner you could ask a question that came up about the horse you bought.  but if i sold  a horse i would like to know how they are doing.  its doesn't have to be every week,  but i would still like to know but if they didn't there is no control over that. 

The adoption program requires an update annually including medical update (shots, etc).  After a while they know the horses are in a good home and they don't keep expecting it but feel better if you update them.  There's a picture of my friend who visited sitting on Bullwinkle on her home page. [':D']  Basically she can't get rid of me! [';)']
    Danica is like everyone's horse and I do updates here for all to see.  There's a video showing her being a bad influence in the trail riding section.  [&:]
  • He contacted the breeder just to tell them and they were mad he contacted them.

That IMHO is being an irresponsible breeder.  The should know about issues with what they are producing.

I have kept track of my horses, heck that is how I got Jake given back to me.  I always ask and most say yes.

No offense, but if they want nothing to do with the horse after I always wonder why?  Are they hiding something?

Maybe it is a girl thing?!?!?![8D]
  • [quote=TanyaC97]

Maybe it is a girl thing?!?!?![8D]

It might be that or how i was trained to think of horses. But my first horse I ever had i sold a few years ago and dont care what happen to it. All i know is that it went to someone to rides it. Better then if i didnt sell it to them.
    matt
  • I most definitely keep in touch with the people I bought my horses (and donkey) from - even if its a once a year "hey, the horse is doing well".  There is one exception, but we won't talk about that situation - the old owner doesn't deserve updates.

I would love to get updates on the couple horses I have had to sell over the years and I do get that on 2 of them, which I am really thankful for.  It makes me feel better to know that the horse is in a good home and being well cared for.  The one that I lost track of - I still worry about her and wonder what happened with her. 

So yes, send photos to the person you bought that filly from.  They would really appreciate it!

BTW - I think you may be right on "trained to think of horses".  I see it around here all of the time.  Those who were raised to see horses as solely work animals & livestock don't want updates.  On the other hand, those who see horses as pets or working partners tend to want updates. 

• I think it is important to keep in touch.  If I breed a foal I want to do everything in my power to make sure that animal is not abused and does not end up in a kill pen.  And when I sell a horse I absolutely want to know if the owner runs into any health problems with that animal. 

Question to hoyt, if you sold a good horse would you be interested to know if that horse was being sold at auction or being starved to death a year later?

To me, asking for updates doesn't seem crazy at all.