Quick Post

New colt...another throwaway

New colt...another throwaway
  • Kenny came by this morning around 11 and we headed over to these folks house.  I use to know them fairly well when I was just a kid but like all things, all things change and people move on and grow up.  Anyhow we get there and luckly they were in a little catch pen next to a near collapsed barn.  I thought to myself as the mare came out that she could just step over the fence if she so desired.  Big Quarterhorse mare and might I add a bit nutty!  Moved them in the barn thing (sorry but it was pretty bad) and kenny backed the trailer rigth up to the entrance of the catch pen.  Good thing he had 4-wheel drive as it is melting out there.  Once I got the mare out of the way the colt just walked right up in the trailer.  He seems fairly quiet for not knowing anything and didn't panic once in the trailer which tells me he has some intelegence.

Not a bad looking little guy to be honest.  I have to admit I love his roaning on his little hinny!  Needs the usual of worming, farrier, cleaning up, and shots and he is still a stud colt.  I should be spokesperson for the Grade horse Assosiation!  LOL  Gotta think of a name....can't be without a name....See how he turns out but I like the looks of him better than Axle but he is going to be bigger than him too.  If he turns out pretty quiet I'll get him started next spring or this winter as they said he's about 1 1/2yr old. 

• He's a cute little fuzzball!  I love his coloring ':)'  The ranch behind us has the yearlings in the corral right up against our back fence so I go out and love on them occasionally.  They have a red roan filly I admire ':)'

How about "Sterling."
  • Good looking 'find' you've got there! [':)']
    And...I think Dana's onto something!  Sterling would be purrrrrfect!
  • I spent most of the day watching him out the window seeing how he reacted when the horses walked out into the pasture and what he did when they would come back.  I thought of calling him "Danny"  but who knows.  I called Axle Postum for the longest time before settling on his name.

I did get to work with him a little while this evening.  He is not wild totally but he is by no means tame either.  Since he was acting like a rude stallion to me, stepping forward with his shoulder into me and always wanting to keep me where he could strike or kick I moved him around a bit and finally roped him.  Let him settle while I rubbed his nose and forehead a bit and made it to his shoulders on both sides before he decided it was just too much contact.  In the end though he did really well for his first time.  I've had lots do way worse and very few do way better.  I am wondering if he isn't Appaloosa/Quarter mix.  Check him out again tomorrow!
  • I can't wait to see your progress with him! Will you have him gelded?
  • Yeah most definatly.  If he were papered really well and I could see that he could really excell at reining, cutting, ranch or something like that then yeah I would keep him a stallion if someone wanted him, but since he is grade (no papers) I will have him gelded as soon as he's ready.  I always look at how many colts there are out there that never have even a glimmer of a hope at a job. Most are the by-product of someone wanting to "calm their mare" or similar situations.

I always wanted to have the facilitys to do a colt starting thing here where folks that have colts or fillys they no longer can care for or want could donate them to trainers who would then have 60 days to get them going and then have an auction to promote the Grade horse and their training methods.  Something like the Wild Mustang thing but only with unwanted young horses.  Always thought that would be so great even for the rescues to donate a couple of horses. 

Maybe one of these days!
  • AppyLady says all aps have a roan gene but it's not the same as THE roan gene.  I think it comes with the PL gene, the roaning factor.  So it would be simple to test him.  Does he have the striped hoof, any mottling on his.... parts?  I don't see any on his muzzle in the picture.  How about his eye?  Any white showing there?  I bet he really lightens up!  I'd LOVE to hear what AppyLady says!  Sterling is a great name, if a bit sophisticated for a cow pony!  Is he dun ya s'pose?
  • The Roaning comes with the PaintedLady Gene??? heheheh
    Couldn't restist.  Just what in Heavens name IS a PL gene, anyway???  (C'mon...clue us ALL in!)
    I cant wait to see him alll slicked out and shiney this summer!  Admit that I just can't tell nuttin when they're  all fuzzed out like this!  Altho I do like what I see....
    Sterling does have a nice ring to it.  ':)'
    Gotta tell you this.  Neighbors down the line from us TORE DOWN an older wooden barn.  Made me SICK I tell ya!  It didn't SEEM to be falling down at all!  (Well, not from the road, anyway...)
  • For me, I would much rather have a gelding, but my experience with mares has been, well, mareish. LOL! I'm excited to follow his progress. Our horse club is hoping to have a field trip to the BLM program at the prison this spring. It will be our 2nd. It's a lot of fun. Sad too in a way.  
  • I used to have trouble remembering if it was LP or PL but YOU are the reason I remember PL!!!  [':D']  I'll see if I can remember what AppyLady told me but someone better call her over just in case!  The PL gene is the "color" gene in Ap's.  It give them the spots, blankets, striped hooves, mottled skin, scelera and roaning.  ALL ap's have roaning but the roaning doesn't affect spots so, on a leopard you don't see the roaning because the base is white, but it's still there.  (that's so cool)  My Danica is homozygous for the PL gene (probably).  Most snow caps are.  So she would always produce color (and I have a gorgeous Blue Roan SSH I'm dying to breed her with.  Here - let me hold out my hand and everybody slap it at one time to drive that thought from my head.)  Ummmmm that's everything I know.  Now my head is empty.  [':)']

My questions are:  What about other breeds that have one or more of those traits?  Is there a PL gene in them?
  • Actually, it's LP (for leopard) but I'm all in favor of renaming it PL for Painted Lady! The colt is cute -- in the first picture it looks like he might have white sclera, but it's hard to tell. There's no test for the LP gene...yet.

Good luck with the colt!
  • ':)'  THANKS Appylady!  LP (for leapard) does make more sense to me.  I was wondering just what a PL gene was!  (Gosh...I was so excited to find out there was something in my jeans!!)
  • Silly PL!!!  roflmbo 

Okay, thanks AppyLady!  LP for leopard.  Gotcha!
  • By the way Hunters -- after seeing Arock's LP + tobiano Spanish Mustang foals, I think you should go for it!
  • Unh unh unh (shaking finger and head at Hunters eat) Don't you dare breed that little princess until she gets back home from her trip to Texas.