Quick Post

english riding questions

english riding questions
  • Your questions do sound a bit negative. ':)' But here are some answers, here in Finland most of us ride english. We do have western riders too, but not as much.

How can it be comfortable to ride in such tight breeches?
    - At least the ones I have used have been very comfy, I guess it's about the kind of breeches you choose. Some breeches with leather patches can be a bit stiff at first or after washing but that's all.

How is it comfortable to ride in such a little saddle?
    - I have found western saddles more harsh on my bum than the english ones. And once again, this comes down to the saddle you choose. Some Stübben-ones (especially older) and old saddles are really hard and uncomfortable, but a good saddle is always comfy. I bet the western saddles I rode were "not good" either. I love wintec Isabell Werth as a syntethic saddle it's great! And when it comes to leather saddles I really like Piaff, the brand escaped my mind, and another brand I can't remember...update later. maybe. ':)' 

How is it comfortable to sit straight as a board the entire time?
    - There's definately a problem with your seat if you're straight as a board all the time. ';)' The seat must remain flexible although posture is more important than in some other styles maybe.

How is it enjoyable to wear a helmet all the time?
    - I enjoy it for my own safety. You can save yourself and others from a lot of grief if something happens. Even the most well-trained horse can fall or spook.

How is it comfortable to wear such a heavy looking coat? -dressage,jumping ect.-
    - You don't have to wear a coat unless you want to compete. And only during your performance anyway (at least here) so I don't see a problem with this.
    ':)' please give me some answers ppl! i rode english one  time and i was 6 so..... XD
    western riders answer too
  • yeah you get used to me after awhile i just about always sound negatory. But ok then thats all i wanted to know. I understand some of it now but i can just about promise you one thing, i will not wear a helmet. I understand you reasons for it but mine are i  love the wind through your hair when you run your horse through an open field,i feel more relaxed,when i have a helmet on i feel like a cone head. ':)'
  • [quote=hunterseat]

[quote=DixieClassic003]
    see i'm not ragging on english riding
    Yes you are! [8D]

I've grown up riding English.  I'm not at home in western tack.  I totally agree with you about the refined way a well trained western horse handles.  When you can get a flying lead change on each stride.... Some of that stuff is really amazing.  It's VERY much like dressage!  There will always be riders of every discipline who just get on and slop around but hey, if they're having fun and not hurting the horse, what's the big deal?  They probably don't want to be in a show ring anyway.
    I had a QH growing up and rode him ALWAYS bareback.  Great for the balance! 

-pokes hunt- ........... -sticks tongue out-
  • Western jog = that peanut pusher slow trot that Western Pleasure horses do at shows.  No way was I going to ask my horse to do that.

She can "lope" like a WP horse no problem.  I don't wear helmets in the pasture either.  Its a requirement to show.  I show for a number of reasons, one being it pushes me to ride correctly and to improve my riding.  It also helps me set goals and increases my riding time because I have something to practice towards.  I am a procrastinator and lazy to boot so I need all the motivation I can get.  Plus the fairgrounds is 2 miles away so why not go?  I compete in Pole Bending and Jump Figure 8 also, with a western saddle.  I personally don't see what the big deal is about flying lead changes.  My pony has been able to do that for quite awhile.  It came naturally for us.

I see very few "refined" western riders.  I know of one, and she's got an English background, the other is a horse trainer.
  • If I had that little "bow down" smiley, Summer, I'd put it here. 
    I am not worthy, I am not worthy.....  I know the flying lead changes come naturally to Zag.  So, apparently does trotting and cantering but I have a heckuva time getting him to do any of that under saddle! [':)']  I FINALLY found a trainer who will start working with us over fences and I'm hoping it will all click at the same time.   Well....I can hope on the flying lead changes but....  you're my new hero.  It IS a big deal!

ETA:  I always advise people (not officially of course... who am I?) to start a child off English to establish their seat and balance.  You can always easily transition to western from English but not vice versa.  Not and "ride correctly". imo
  • well flying lead changes don't come naturally under saddle to most horses. they will always to it in the field but rarely just do it while under saddle with no instruction while being broke.
    My TB/QH gelding does awesome flying lead changes but he was taught to do it.
  • All you have to do is shift your weight in the saddle and neck rein.  My mare could do it with less than a week of training, western style.  

I haven't asked her to do any flying lead changes riding English, we have been working on collection and intro level dressage, I think in a few months we might try a test with canter though.  She is cantering really well and I am getting used to cantering with the english saddle.

My Dad's horse did flying lead changes, and so did the POA.  I agree that Whip needs some work yet, he isn't comfortable doing much more than a circle at the canter.
  • When Ginger was a 3 year old I was only able to canter her when we were having a good day.  I was worried she would try to buck me off.  She never did, I was just chicken.  She was a very powerful horse and the English riding has helped me control her power.  She is also extremely athletic. 

I can say that her canter at age 7 is a far cry from her canter at age 3 and 4.  In fact, it didn't get consistently smooth and collected until she was six.  The fly lead changes, all you had to do was hold on.  She would make an awesome reining horse thats for sure.
  • reining horse depends on more then lead changes but thats beside the point. I understand that it comes naturally to horses but  you even said " she could do it in a week of western training" so it doesn't always happen on the first try.
  • Dixie, come down here and help Zag do stuff.  he's a fast learner!
  • lol hunt what are you saying