Quick Post

Really Torrential Tuesday

Really Torrential Tuesday
  • 12 inches since yesterday afternoon!
    Horses are soaked, cold and shivering.
    Me too.

I took hay bags out during the night but only Tex ate his in the pouring rain.
    Warm feed is the next order.
    And trying to swap and dry rain sheets by the fire with a fan.

Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

Stay warm and dry.
  • In cold, wet weather, I try to make up the beet pulp mash with boiling water and do so in the afternoon so it's still hot when served out.  It seems to help.  

Socks is my chief concern with Louie right behind.  One is a Hackney with show breeding and the other is a modern Shetland with Hackneys in the woodpile, so to speak. Both are thin skinned and not much coat.  The rest are Yaks, stand out in the rain and are still dry underneath.  

• Thanks Stude.

The warm feed helped. I only use warm water. I am afraid to get it too hot.

I also gave everyone an extra cup of feed.

Chica seemed the worse off.  She is not fat after her training diet. She would not stop shivering. I have a mega thick polar stable coat I have kept for years.

I put that on her when I swapped her rain sheet to dry it. I decided to leave it on  her overnight.

I also ordered 2 more 1200 denier mainsheets.  Nothing is impervious to 12 inches of rain.

It will give me some to switch out without the fan and fire drying method . Which did work very well.

I do have one rain sheet that was a complete failure but I will keep it as an extra sheet for non wet weather.

Going from 80 to 40 degrees they have no winter coats. No yaks here even when they do get coats.

I hope we get some nice weather for them to grow good coats.