Quick Post

Saturday - Sunny...Death Valley

Saturday - Sunny...Death Valley
  • Actually, Mojave Desert but basically the same.
    Strange when 90 feels cool. But the days have been 105, 108...
    Love the job. I'm waiting for my access so I can get onto the programs that we use. Met some of my customers. Getting to know my coworkers. They're pretty cool.
    Our workforce is aging really badly. We need new people. I know I'm about to retire but I don't know if my coworkers realize they need to mentor the younger crowd. I bet there are at only 2 or 3 who are not looking to retire in the next 5 years. Out of a dozen. It's kind of scary.
    The work is different so I have to learn the processes in place here. I know my supervisor likes me and expects great things - but he's leaving soon anyway so... some of my coworkers aren't crazy about him but I can see it from both sides. *sigh* Always be broad minded! Always.
    My boss' boss has horses! And so does one of my coworkers. Great! We all take the same Friday off. I'm hoping to go see Dana in the next couple of Friday's off. Right now I'm getting situated in this apartment. So far so good!
    The dog park is great. Very close - like right across the street from the complex. But then, in this small town, everything is close. People don't leave here. Scares me. Spoke to a guy from Austin today. At the laundromat. He's been here for years. Crazy. It's everywhere I go. I don't know. I'd have to get a really sweet place. I just found out there's arsenic in the well water here, naturally occurring. What do you do with that? Ah well (no pun) :) I want to be closer to the beach, I guess, or at least green. The dogs are adjusting. Yesterday they wore their cooling vests at the park. Created a sensation but it was about 105. Not taking chances! That was about 6pm.
    Okay, it's really Friday night (day off) but I figured I'd start a Saturday thread. I hope everyone has a great weekend!!
  • Back to trailer training Apache. 3rd day, got all the way on with no hesitation. Got off rather gracefully as well. There is hope of a adventure this Fall.

• Good 'ol Southern California!  Arsenic,  Nitrates, all kinds of nasty stuff in the water!  Can't get away from lousy water down there!  Good news is, an R.O. system will take care of your drinking water.  I don't know what to do for the horses...  I suppose auto bowls hooked up to another filter?

Up here we get Arsenic occasionally.  Usually though it's just Sulfur.  Makes the water stink like it came out of the septic system, but is safe to drink.  In Fawn Lodge, the water comes out of an Artesian spring and is beautiful.  Oak Run is Sulfur.  Sometimes it even comes out of the hose faintly yellow.  Deadwood Creek in Lewiston has a lot of Arsenic in it.  Then again there's a lot of gold up that canyon too.

Wow, just looked it up.  China Lake is really out there!  I forgot how far out.  You're almost two hundred miles from Dana.  I was thinking Palmdale and Mohave.  NOT!  You're actually north of Bakersfield.  Well my one excuse is that I was out there thirty-five years ago and someone else drove.  I do remember it seemed as if we would never get there.  Used to stop for Greyhound at Kramer Junction on the way to Vegas.  Nice people there back then.  Top off the gas at Kramer as there isn't any for M-I-L-E-S afterwards.

Got out two minis and Socks yesterday.  Everyone was good, especially after being off for so long due to the smoke.  Funny how today is starting out just like yesterday.  It's beautiful with a cornflower-blue sky and lovely breeze.  However yesterday around five, the smoke came in and made everything nasty again.  Socks didn't get much of a workout as he started coughing and I put him away.  He was happy though as he got cookies and attention.

My watch is losing time again.  Ugh.  I hate having it cleaned.  It's so expensive and the old man takes forever to get to it.  Buuuuut... it's losing time and has to be wound more often again.  So, it's time to take it in.  I really ought to buy a cheaper watch.

Hope everyone has a great pre-labour day weekend!  I may be headed up to Washington next week about a trailer for sale up there.  They've been trying to sell it for over two years and haven't been successful.  The interior of the trailer is beautiful.  The exterior and frame are badly corroded by the salt air (it's sitting about two hundred feet or so from the ocean).  I have the Imperial and can use that frame, et al, to rebuild the trailer.  It's just getting the hubby to understand his gramma's trailer isn't really worth all that much to anyone but someone like me.   I'm gonna need all the luck I can get on this one.  The problem is finding a place half-way to stay.  I'm not up to six-hundred-mile-drives-in-one-day anymore.  Three I can do.  Four is really pushing it.  Finding that place to stay overnight on Labour-Day weekend though is going to be an issue.  Maybe I can do this, maybe not.  We'll have to see.