Quick Post

Moving Saturday

Moving Saturday
  • Went camping LAST weekend and while we were gone my sister passed. We knew what was going on and 3 siblings were, "enjoy your trip, don't come home". So we didn't. Our last visit with her was good and she was alert. When I got the call she was in the ER and totally unresponsive and they wanted to know what to do (testing, treatment). I told them to do nothing and they sent her back to his assisted living apartment so she could pass in her own home. When she moved in with us last August I knew she wouldn't make it a year, so not unexpected.

Today we clean out her apartment. My brother and sister who were here when she passed cleaned out all the clothes and small things. We just have the big stuff today and I figure it will be loaded on the horse trailer in an hour. If nobody wants the stuff, off to Goodwill. I refuse to take anything back to storage. My goal is to have her storage unit empty by August. The storage unit has what was in her house, it is jammed packed.

If time allows, will go get my sister (ashes) and allow her to live with us one more time until next Spring when we will take her to Norton, VA will she will reside with our parents. 

• condolences.  Face.  Even expected passings are difficult.

Our big sale is today.  The contents and then the house will be offered up for sale, not this house but the big one we have in town.  I sure hope it is a good sale, Cal has made himself physically sick over this.  Just want the house to sell for at least his minimum hope.  It would be like a miracle if we have good bidders and it sells for over that.  He picked an auctioneer from out of this area thinking he would bring his following with him.  Not so sure it was a good idea.  I made phone calls to people who speculate on property and they had not even been aware of the sale.  I also put it on some internet sites....hope all goes well.

• Connie, make sure the Acutioneer puts the listing on Zillow!

• Face I'm sorry about your sister. Maybe an estate sale is in order right at the storage unit. Those can sometimes go over very well. Might be too soon to think about it.

I spent a large part of my day at Jeff's new house. It was built by a young man right after being discharged from WWII.  His son lived there and he was a Vietnam vet. There's a shop area that I think the family lived in but it's PACKED. The guy passed away about 5 years ago.  His kids put it on the market. Nothing's been done with the place. Jeff put a bid contingent on the place being cleared out and the son said NO WAY he never wanted to set foot on that property again. Very sad. All the guy's stuff is there and we were clearing out today. He was an engineer. All his certificates and pictures and Harley stuff and some veteran stuff. I'm going to do a sale with it. Might make a little. The house has good bones. Jeff's got big plans. Have at it bro. I'd like to be in another state.

Connie, I hope the sale went well. Once that's behind you there should be a good weight off.

MK glad you guys got rain. Have you chiseled the cement... I mean mud off the horses? :) That's the dangdest stuff I've ever seen.

OH let me tell you - Jeff put some ant traps out and the dog got in it. She was so sick yesterday. Scared me and I didn't know what was wrong with her until this morning when she was THANKFULLY better. (seems fine) She was a VERY sick little girl. Wow.

• Everything in the apartment went to someone and didn't have to take a load to Goodwill. Happy about that! Had apartment emptied in 45 minutes.

There is a local consignment place that comes in and takes stuff in this situation. What no one wants we will do that. Not really interested in making money, just want stuff gone and to be done with it. In 2-3 weeks will be getting rid of a lot of big stuff which will make it much easier to navigate in there. Hard to maneuver in a storage unit which a whole house packed in it. BTW: I recommend Public Storage. The one I am using is climate controlled and cheaper than the typical outside units you can drive up to.