Quick Post

Tuesday and still winter

Tuesday and still winter
  • Let the dog out last night for her final potty of the day and it was snowing.  The weather people were right.  Not exactly overjoyed but I am thankful the wind has died down.

Reconnected with an old racetrack friend via facebook.  During our catching up for the past 40+ years, I mentioned how I love Biscotti.  He told his daughter, she remembers me, and she sent me some she made.  I sure was happy to see the mailman heading to the house with that box yesterday.  

Hoping everyone has a great day today.

So glad our forum is back.

• The arrogance and dictatorial nature of local Government never ceases to amaze me.  When Jmebear bought the property here she was told by a County employee temporary structures didn't need permits.  So she put in a shipping container (for hay storage) and a portable barn for the horses.  At the time, the county recognized the container as a vehicle and the barn as a livestock structure that didn't need a permit.  They changed the laws starting a year later and continuing on to 2004.  Now anything over 10X12 has to be permitted.  Even those canvas carports from Cosco and Harbour Freight.  They are also now requiring her to submit new plot plans showing all structures, Septic and leach fields.  The former I can understand (somewhat however with the spy satellites, they don't need it), the latter puzzles me as most people don't know where the septic and leach fields are on their properties.  Jmebear does, thank heavens.

the biggest problem with all of this is fighting the County is expensive and time consuming.  They are quite aware of this and use it to full advantage to harrass and intimidate.  I have seen this in five counties here in California.  Shasta used to be pretty decent and isn't anymore.

All I want to do is defect from Soviet California.  God help us both.

• Okay, that's it. We all have to pool our funds and get a forever place. Actually DurangoGramma is about to move to AZ which is a surprise for me. I remember leaving melted remnants of tennis shoe on the sidewalks of that place.. I'm so up-in-the-air about where I'll end up. I was really hoping to get the Denver job since my sister's there. She really needs encouragement and, if I have to work anywhere, why not there? But I didn't get selected (or even an interview). The VA is hard to get into and now I've been hearing rumors about privatization. That would be hard for the employees. But honestly there are those who are R.I.P. (retired in place). Anywho - not sure, still, where I'll end up. I think I'm about to get a job offer right where I am. I guess that's fine-ish. Except the whole "2nd most expensive tax state in the country" thing.

Biscotti....YUM. I should make some.

Work was crazy as usual and then I shoveled manure. Got a little manure therapy. That was cool. Hoping all is well for everyone. Wondering about that ol' empty-nester CPG. :)

• Got below freezing here in SC yesterday morning. Life has been keeping us from getting our garden planted, which appears to have be a good thing.

Took horses out Saturday. Branch got hooked in the air vent of  my helmet. So as we proceeded on the branch didn't want to continue so it started to pull me backwards on Apache. Apache thought something was attacking me and he started bucking, and bucking, and bucking. I thought I was going to get him over it, with me still on board, but that didn't happen. I lay on the ground as he went bucking off down the trail. We think I got my required 8 seconds on him before I came off. Fancy is usually not affected by such things, she just watches, but when the lead us going bucking down the trail she decided to give one good buck and dumps the wife and follows Apache down the trail. They got together where the trail meets the driveway and waited for us. They looked at us like "where'd you all go?". Anyway, back to the barn, back on the horses and did another 1/4 mile ride to end things on a positive note. We are a little sore, nothing more.

• 8 seconds?  you did well.  Glad you are both okay.  Like that you got back on so they don't learn that bucking is a good way to get out of work.