Quick Post

Snow Storm in the N.E.

Snow Storm in the N.E.
  • Hope you are doing alright Connie and the storm passes quickly.
    had a tough of snow on the ground this morning here and then the sun came out.
    still cold though and some wind.

mud is a magnet, it draws horses to it especially after a bath. unless they are arabs
    then they look for mud boots. Charm would not even step in a water puddle if she could
    go around it. LOL>
  • My Bullwinkle would decorate himself with mud. One day he'd be an appaloosa with a full blanket and misc spots. Another day he'd be a superhero with mask and cape. Once he managed to cover one side quite evenly so that he looked like a different horse, depending on the side you saw. He was gifted that way.

Great wind here. I woke up thinking the furnace was on but it was the wind blowing. We have a coal stove and the furnace should never be on! I saw a flake or two during the day but it's been pretty steady rain.

Bacon jam came out pretty good. I can do it better next time but it was a first for me. I guess I saw it on fb.

Hoping tomorrow is better as far as weather goes.

• I have an add on wood, coal furnace here but the price of wood or coal  here is $$.. House is total electric last months bill was $370. So that probably isn't too bad when figuring what the wood coal would have cost plus the work and attention to the add on would have cost. plus electric  When it is as cold as it has been plus the wind blowing takes a lot of wood to stay warm.

Sounds like how Face described his horse.

Bacon Jam?    Well everything goes better with Bacon    LOL

• We got about two inches of the light, fluffy, sparkly kind of snow..  It'll likely be gone by morning though as it just isn't cold enough for it to stay.  

Felt lousy all day.

• Not sure what the final total is here.  In the first 12 hours we got 14" in the driveway.  Two hours later it was 18"20".  The wind picked up making figuring depth more of a challenge.  I know I will be wading in snow over my knees to get out of the house to the road..the road is plowed and then just as deep from the road to the barn.  Whisper probably won't get her bucket of hot water this morning.  The snow is too deep for me to carry a bucket for her, she will have to settle for her cold but I can add a teakettle of boiling to that since I have an electric teakettle in the barn.

Now for the dig out.  I called Cal's oldest last night and asked him to send his plow guy over...turns out he has been doing his own plowing but he said he would see what he can do..He plows with a skid steer.  I would like to get out without much shoveling.  I shoveled out our walk through garage door four or five times yesterday.  Twice to go to the barn the rest for the dog to go out.  The door swings out so I have to push, squeeze through and then shovel so it can swing open.  The dog goes about two feet out and squats...she is accustomed to us digging a path for her but the snow is too wet and heavy.  I really am ready to flag down the next passing pickup with a plow.

• Second Chance, our house is total electric also.  Our electric provider is the most expensive in the area but our highest bill has not gone over $145, and I think that is when the water heater sprung a leak.  It is handy to have one bill but we also have a wood stove in the lower level that helps heat the house.  I was getting wood delivered split for $50/face cord.  This year, Cal took down some trees for the neighbor and we got all that nice ashwood for our fire.  I like it better delivered split...less work for us and handling wood gets harder as we age.

• here wood is $75 for a 8 ft. pickup and it is just throwed on.  So not even a face cord probably.      house coal was selling for $100 a ton. (that sounds like a lot but it doesn't take much to make a ton)     my son also burns wood and his cost was $160 for 2 pickup loads . delivered.  

for reference ( a cord of wood is 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.  stacked)   ( face cord is one row of stacked wood 4 ft tall x 8 ft lone.  so basically a half cord or a little more.

The 20kw electric furnace is my biggest problem.   this sub=division never had natural gas lines put in when it was built and a main line is just a few feet from the start of the sub=division road..  Now my choices would be LP gas or fuel oil.  My part of Ohio is undergoing this markus shale gas and oil explosion.  new gas wells are popping up every where.   A great in flux of workers from the western oil states   Quite a few new millionaire land owners and living cost have went up a good bit..