Quick Post

Windy Winter Wednesday

Windy Winter Wednesday
  • Calling for snow and then rain. Let the fun begin. Slip and slide, anyone?

Chatter's got bursitis? That's what they've decided to call it but his knee is red and puffy. Painful. etc. His son, however, the one still in FL, the career college student who is so smart and learned carpentry from his dad, THAT son was working with someone and, because of his boss' stupid mistake was injured and has 3 fractured bones in his face. He's the one I'm worried about all alone down there. I hope he gets to the neurologist. I think he has a personal injury lawyer. Anywho... If I have to I'll make a trip down there.

Another son, the one I visited in Washington recently with the adorable red headed kids, has volunteered to work in the disaster areas.

AND since I'm on sons, my oldest is deployed to the sandbox. Seems he's doing fine according to his wife. Nice to know. Hopefully SHE will be fine. I may make a trip down THERE! lol I feel the urge to help all the time.

Sorry about the Stb freebie, Connie. Something does sound off about the whole thing. You've got pretty good instincts. Too bad the horse has to be the one to suffer. I hope your horse hauler recovers from his surgery quickly.

No job news. Hoping everyone is good. Stay safe
  • Cal has the day off.  The weather we are supposed to get has yet to arrive but the "powers that be"  in control of such things have opted to shut down.  Apparently they understand that an inch or more of snow per hour can be dangerous to drive in.  The storm hit Iowa and has been steadily headed for us.  I have food in the house.  Food for the horse.  Food for the dog and cats.  We have wood for heat just in case there is a power interruption.  I guess we are all set to sit out this storm.

Whisper has been jumpy lately.  I know there is something getting into the barn and getting the cat food.  Not sure what but I did chase a bob tailed coon off the cat deck the other evening.  Whatever it is, she would rather eat her second cut than her grain so I assume it is something that checks out her feed tub which hangs on the outside of her stall gate. Not sure if it warrants getting a trail cam or not.  Have been mulling over ideas on how to trap a coon or possum without catching a cat.  Probably should set a rat trap also...another thing to try and set where the kitties don't get caught.

Looks like Cal is in for a day of black and white movies...he likes the old ones, I do, too.  He likes to look at the houses and the opulence shown in the furnishings.

Hmmm the snow that was to start at ten and then was backed up to 8 seems to be cooperating with the weather channel.  It has commenced. It will be a good day to shovel every hour or two.

Oh, that Standie, the last story is a friend of the owner will take it for free if I don't.  Really would like to talk to the one who owns it and get more details on him.  He is a good looking horse and should be road safe if he was an Amish buggy horse between his racetrack days and now.  He made almost a quarter of a million on the track.He has been pin fired.  Looks like some permanent scaring on his suspensory ligament there but otherwise he looks decent.  Looks to be in good weight too.  I will look, but probably will not take.  The stall needs some floor work before I mat it.  Oh, might have a chance to get some free full sized rubber for matting the stalls.  That would be super.  

Here is a picture of Kid Conway aka Con Royale. On top of his back you can see the white marks where it looks like a harness rubbed on him...not from racing, equipment used for racing is not apt to make "saddle marks".

• Connie if that is a current pic he looks good.

I worry about possums and EPM. I had a crazy neighbor who left her horse feed bins open for the critters. Her horse got sick DUH!

We have cold, wet weather also.

Just wet enough to keep the horses in.

Catching up on laundry and paperwork.

The fireplace is nice and toasty.

Farrier came yesterday. He said he felt like hanging out with people who understood.

He looks better than he has in awhile.

His wife got severely dehydrated at the care center so he took her to the emergency room. She spent a couple days in the hospital.

He got a new doctor for her. He feels better about things but is resigned to the inevitable.

She has been bed ridden and incoherent for awhile now.

Stude - No need for a trailer! We have great accommodations.

Everyone have a worthwhile Wednesday.

• He does look good.  I am told she got him in November and he was thin.  I was also told this is a current picture and she thinks he needs weight.  Sure looks good to me.

I don't like possums, either.  I keep hearing they eat ticks, but I know they are hosts to things I do not want my horse exposed to .  One has been on the cat deck...I chased it off.  I need to get something to discourage them from visiting.  There is a produce farm next to us and they have all kinds of veggies they did not harvest and I think they are calling rats.  I have only seen one here until this winter.  Hate vermin.

In all probability, we will go and check the horse out on Saturday if the weather is decent.  If he is worth bringing home, if the strings are just first refusal, he might come here.  Still have to get the stall ready.  Oldest step son works in a stone quarry and  said they replace the belts that move the rock if one breaks or rips and that they give the used belting away.  He says it is rubber.  I asked him to measure it for width.  Shoot, if he can get it, , we have a dump trailer and could bring a roll home and just cut off what we need for a stall...one piece, no jig saw puzzles for a floor.  Asked him to check into it.  Wish they had some canvas belting too, but am thankful for whatever we can get for labor.  Canvas would be nice in front of the barn, would eliminate mud but I don't think rubber would be a good idea, it would be slippery when wet.  

I have shoveled the driveway twice and Cal has done it once.  The snow keeps coming but it will be easier for him to get out in the morning with less snow to move.  Probably will do it once more around dark.Not sure how much we have gotten but probably the inch an hour they predicted and it started at around 8 this morning.

DH, your farrier is blessed to have friends he trusts who will let him come and unwind and refresh his spirit.

• I think all of DH's friends are blessed. :)

• Perhaps, however Weatherford is somewhere around two hundred miles or so north of you and Mount Pleasant is over three hundred.  Or so would be my guess.  Hence we'll need the trailer.  I figure we will likely be spending several weeks looking at houses, if possible.  No Idea at this point if a move is in the works for sure.  It depends on a lot of variables.

Put the kiddos next door again.  

Another lookie-loo for the little Terry.  Honestly, people want things for free, I swear.

Hope everyone had a great mid-week and a great week coming up.