Quick Post

Hello Sunday

Hello Sunday
  • Hilton Head last weekend was great. Weather could not had been better and ocean temps and waves were perfect.

When we got back wife was very upset again about Eros. However, I think she is moving on. Plan is to take Fancy and Apache out for a ride this morning. Apache is still sniffing around the spot where Eros went down.

• So sad when you lose a good one...I still miss (yes, grieve) a horse that I lost about 20 years ago.  Have been trying to find one as good as he was ever since.

Glad you had a good time in Hilton Head.

Just got back from the barn.  Whisper's leg is looking soooo much better.  The forearm swelling is markedly down and the rest of the leg is looking better.  Saw a standardbred trainer yesterday and he agreed that it is from her attempt at splitting her straddle and that the swelling will progress downward.  I certainly am glad she is an easy horse to work on.  Washed the poultice off this morning and then applied more...sure is messy stuff.

Soon it will be off to Church.  Am hoping to get Whisper out for some exercise this afternoon...if hubby gets the truck and trailer out of the barnyard, the paddock is no longer usable because he got a camper and put it in there.....but he is a good guy so I can deal with it.

• Home from Jersey. Loved the time spent with the horses. Stayed at a small, affordable motel that I thought would be mine alone but the guy decided to go at the last minute...I might have gotten a "better" one had I known there were standards to uphold. The room was fine. (and cheap)

Horses were phenomenal just because I got to mess with them. One I was told to just do ground work and I LOVE that. Good thing that's what was wanted because as soon as he was in cross ties he was being a bugger. I can't do squat in cross ties so I took him to the arena and commenced to making him want to behave. :) I ended up in love, as usual. We had fun. On the way back to the pasture his head was down, he was leading so nicely and I wanted to take him home. Every little success is a building block to a great horse. He was on the track 2 weeks ago. One horse I rode (the last of the day/weekend) was like dragging a bag of cement out of the pasture (after a quarter mile walk to get him). He  was not excited to go do a little work. As I'm tacking up people started telling me about the time he acted up on a trail, the time he was so bad, the time he reared up. "But he'll probably do fine for you" *gulp* I tried to give him things to do to occupy his mind and make him think. They don't expect the little puzzles that are out there. He ended up doing fine. So all total I rode 6 or 7, did ground work with one, hand grazed one, AND chased 3 around with 3 other girls. I guess someone was getting a horse out and 3 of them pushed by out the pasture gate. Scary to have them loose when there's access to (1) roads and (2) stud horses. We almost had a train wreck.

Anyway, fun there with the horses. It's so nice being around friends and people who make me feel like they appreciate me. Such a change from my normal life. *as smoke seeps from my ears*

• Glad you had a wonderful time with the horses.  They have a way of helping remove all other things in life by letting us concentrate on them.  I miss working with Standies.  A definite  life style, not a job.  Memories.

Whisper 's leg  is healing slowly...very slowly but still on the mend.  I put her out for a bit this afternoon and she ate grass for maybe a minute and then was back to the barn wanting in...she was not in panic mode but she certainly wanted back inside.  She approves of the changing of the grain.  I finally found decent crimped oats and am almost out of the half ton of pellets we got earlier this summer.  She really likes the oats.

Church was great this morning.

• We went to Camelot Equestrian Park this weekend for the annual Ride and Dine.  This year's entertainment was knights in hand-to -hand combat and jousting.  They also had a little Halloween parade which was cute.  Most especially the horse/dragon.  I would have voted the horse in for sainthood for wearing that Dragon costume as it had  a fifteen-foot tail!  Spent way too much money and had some fun.

Jmebear took her little (34") stallion, Firefly and he was a smash hit.  One lady there paid Firefly and Jmebear a great compliment.  She said Firefly looked better in conformation and colour than most of her own horses!   Being that she is a very respected breeder of Appys, high praise indeed!  It was a very long weekend, but well worth it.

Sold four of my treasured Anderson windows and now have enough money to fix and register my truck.  Hopefully there will be enough to  get a new carb, fix the exhaust, and insure it.    I doubt it, but one can hope anyway.  

Hope everyone has a great week!