Quick Post

New Normal

New Normal
  • First off, thanks to all for your support, it is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Eros was buried yesterday evening. I stayed away as he was put in and saw enough afterwards to know where his head is so my wife can do his marker.

I think Fancy knew what was coming Saturday evening as we had Eros’ stall door open and she looked in and just stared intently at him lying there in his stall. When we got Fancy and Apache for a ride Sunday morning, we stopped at Dan’s grave and my wife teared up. Fancy came over and gently nudged her. To my wife Fancy was telling “It’s time, It’s OK, and I am here for you.” Fancy is not a horse that would normally do such a thing, she is very stoic. What Fancy did strongly influenced my wife that it was time.

After Eros was buried and the horses fed, I took Apache out and let him lead the way. He headed straight to where Eros had laid when he passed. Apache just kept sniffing and snorting at the spot. He then wanted to circle around the grave and continued sniffing and snorting. I think he smelled his brother there and he too came to an understanding of what had passed.

Friday we head to Hilton Head Island for a very much needed break. The son and his family from VA will be with us for the 4 day weekend trip. Fun with the grandkids is needed right now.

When we return we start our NEW normal. Fancy becomes my wife’s primary horse and Apache mine. We took Apache in mostly as a favor for a dear friend. She used to run a boarding/lesson/trail ride business and quit that a couple years ago. She now had a surplus of horses and needed to downsize. Apache was never a lesson/trail horse. He was to be a horse to tinker around with, project horse so to speak, but never intended him to be my main riding horse. As time went on, he became a very good trail horse, except for water (and we will get there). We now have to double down on his loading in a trailer which I think he will now probably hop right on as long as Fancy is already on. At some point my wife will ride Apache some. No one has ridden him except me since we have had him, and he can be a stubborn soul.

• Don't they break our hearts? Yet we figure the benefits outweigh the pain. Our condolences to you, the missus and the herd.

God bless Fancy and Apache.

I hope Hilton Head is a wonderful time!