Quick Post

Friday road trip

Friday road trip
  • Happy Friday everyone! The youngest daughter and I are on the road to Monterey, a 6+ hour drive to take her back to school for her junior year. Made it through the LA traffic and now flying through farmland. Lots of cows grazing, almond orchards/groves. She applied for a single furnished room in the upper class housing and got a double unfurnished room. She's not thrilled about having a roommate but at least she won't be living with that bizarre landlord who wouldn't let her have friends over like last year!

Horses are all good. Penny's lacerations are healed over and hopefully she'll get hair over them again. She looks sound when she thunders up and down her paddock when she's protesting having any of her buddies taken away. Cody is back to his usual self and we've been hitting the trails with my riding group and sometimes Kelly. She's been busy working/ doing her internship at the vets.
  • Face-Kelly's gelding had a hairline fracture in his left hind femur, must've fallen in the pasture, not a mark on him but suddenly in pain, reluctant to move, very swollen.  His stifle/gaskin swelled up all the way to his sheath.  He healed just fine but his skin is wrinkled and weeps sometimes from being so swollen.  Hope your Eros heals up well.

I'm back to work next Weds.  I've got 2 rides planned in neat places before then.  Gary is flying up to get me tomorrow afternoon.  

Hope everyone is well.

• Been lazy, getting back into the swing here at home. Glad I had today off. I took yesterday off and did some teleworking since Chatter went back in to have his other side unclogged (heart). He's home now. Seems to be doing okay, but moving a little slowly, as he should be.

I'm still waiting for Shirley to post the Shorty pictures from our second ride. I had a great time. There's a small airport right at Westcliffe and it would be really worth the trip. Amazing how beautiful it is. The "lots" there are 40 acres. I think it's about $1K/acre. Totally off the grid.

Anyway, got supper going. I hope the weekend is off to a good start. Dana, didn't Tahoe break his withers? Anyway, I hope Eros is well and I'm glad Penny is on the mend.  Kisses to Cody. (and Tex!!)

• Kids in VA heading for a visit. 10 minutes from house someone pulls out in front of them and now their call is totalled. All the airbags went off. Thankfully no one was hurt. Son had to pull the side airbag off the 2 year old to find him. Despite all that, they still made it to SC shortly after 11PM, in a different car.

• AAGGHH!!! Face that is so scary! I hope they called you so you could go get them? Thank goodness  no one was injured. Still, scary.

I slept really late - 8am-ish.  I could probably go longer but someone else got up and started making coffee.  I was on the couch. Anyway we all slept well. Boy goes to work at noon.

It was rainy all day yesterday but today is glorious! Hopefully the mugginess is gone, too. After Colorado the humidity nearly floored us getting off the plane. It felt wet all in the house. yuck

Maybe I'll do something fun today. I need to take our left-over cans of catfood to the local cat rescue. That will be nice. I can love on the fur babies while I'm at it. I don't want another cat any time soon.

• Face, so glad your family is okay.  

Six sale days down and a half day tomorrow to do yet.  Then,  pick up, pack and put away.  Some we might just chuck...or put curbside for free.  Two guys who can afford to buy have expressed interest in the house but have not come for a walk through...hope they were not just dreaming out loud.

Whisper will be glad when I get back on my regular schedule.  She adapts pretty well, though.  I want to ride.  Have a friend with Arabs ask if I was ever coming to ride with her.  Hope to do it soon.  The blacksmith went by today and had to wait for traffic so I told him we need a peddie.

Oh, got a price on a tack building from an Amish guy.  He would construct it at home (about two miles from here) and deliver it.  If we were on the same page, it will be 10x14 with 4' of the  14' length being a porch.  That will give me a 10x10 tack room and I think it will work fine...not much room for trunks, but plenty of room for saddles and it will be lockable.  I really want a place near the barn to safely store saddles and bridles and blankets.  I already have the horse heads for the hitching posts.  Hope this works out for me.  I really would like some fill in there first but will have to see about that.

Hope everyone has a blessed Sunday and a great new week.

• Family was too far from me to rescue!  Had a good weekend. The Grandkids were all ours from Saturday lunchtime to Sunday morning. Son asked how long I layed down with the 18 month old to get him down, 10-15 minutes. WHAT!?!?!?!  Grandkids know to behave with the grandparents if they want to come back!

Been trying to get Eros out of his stall since Friday but we will not push him. He wanted so bad to come out with the kids but couldn't do it. Tonight he came out and now he is in the big comfy birthing stall. He also lay down on the injured side for the first time. Progress continues.