Quick Post

Sat move

Sat move
  • Son #3 moving into 1st house. Loaded some stuff into horse trailer from Son #1 house last night take to #3 house today. Supposed to be wickedly hot/humid today. 

No horse riding today!

• Too hot to move anything?

Pilot wants to try Tex today.

I still have a headache from working in the heat yesterday.

At Cowies we got the fire blocking finished on the exterior walls.

And we got the bottom blocking done in the shower.

We quit about 4pm.

I need to do some more watering today.

Everyone keep cool!

• Heat wasn't as bad as predicted, no where close. Horses did get rinsed off. This was the first rinsing at the upper pasture since Apache has learned to accept the rinse, which means it is done in the pasture. Apache was really good. Fancy and Eros juggle for position for their turn.

• Glad the moving wasn't as bad as you thought, Face.  We're going to need to get some furniture for daughter #3 in a few weeks.  She's living in on campus housing, applied for a furnished single room, got an unfurnished double.... up in Monterey where she lives, 6+ hour drive so going to wait and buy up there so we don't have to haul it, just sell or store it up there when the school year is over.

Hope Pilot's ride went well.  Gary just texted me that his business trip in Ohio is over and they're flying over Lake Michigan on their way to Osh Kosh.

I'm driving south to pick up a big, skinny, Senior gelding picked up from the local kill buyer at auction, taking him to my friend at the horse rescue where we got our little Jenny and the project horse, Lincoln.  Lincoln may end up being more than we can handle.  He appears to have been handled roughly and our first time taking him out on trail and also with other horses, he wigged out on the way home, started spinning and rearing....Kelly did an emergency dismount after riding out several of these scary rears and he settled down, walked him about a mile and remounted, he was still antsy but kept him moving forward and made it home.  I'm going to have her ride some more in the arena, develop some trust, see if it's the other horses being there that trigger him or just being out on trail, pony him some w/out a rider but if he acts crazy, it's not worth Kelly's health.... poor horse was obviously failed by humans at some point.

Cody is looking good but I need to get his feet done as he's way over due to being sick.  

Going to be another hot one.....

• Such a fun few days here....not.  Thursday Cal got a flat with our farm truck.  Then he was taking the ladder rack off the truck and it hit him in the kidney area and he is incredibly sore.  We made it through Friday.  Saturday the guy came and baled our lot...usually he makes small bales.  Not this time. 180 (by the counter, have not counted them) big bales.  It is first , second, and a bit of third all mixed in together.  Sadly, some stalky goldenrod in there, too.  We were going to send it all to the auction since we have enough for Whisper for a year, but put 40-50 bales in the barn and did send 45 that neighbor Tom put on his trailer to the  auction.  Our trailer has the rest.  We tarped it and left it in the pasture since our truck would not pull the hill with that load.  The guy who baled came back today with the hitch ball he needed and his Boomer hauled it up easily.  It is in the barnyard.  Whisper seemed to like the hay from the only broken bale so now we may keep it.  not sure.  It is still on the trailer.  Cal loaded it all.  I drove and stopped a lot to pile bales together so he wouldn't have to do so much walking but he was in such pain.  I can only lift about waist high so I am not much help loading but I sure can take them off  the truck or trailer.  Oh, after the flat, he read the directions and managed to get the spare tire off the way it is supposed to come off.  Then the truck slipped off the jack.  He called it quits for the day.  Friday he went at it again and all went smoothly.  I got a set of stairs out of the barn, heavy buggers, and got them outside.  I often use them as a mounting device.  I moved a lot of "stuff" that had been stored in the middle of the barn floor and it really looks so much better out there now.  In about four weeks our second cutting, where we got the first on the fourth, will be ready.  For once, I am going into the winter with more hay than I need.  Hmmm, two empty stalls....Cal went over this afternoon and took Whisper out for grass...he said she  "told him" she wanted to go out.  She refuses to stay outside and and eat grass for very long unless someone is with her.  I do think she likes him.  I know she is a safe mount.

The rain missed us so our hay got in dry.  Now, just hope the tarp does not blow off the trailer....we can let it sit and put it in the barn or take it to the sale when his back feels better.

Hope everyone made it to Church today.  

Have a good week all.