Quick Post

Apache

Apache
  • Ever since I got Apache it has been a struggle to rinse him off. Problem is, he sweats like a pig. This past week it has been miserable here with heat indexes up to 105. So Apache has had plenty of rinsing lessons. Yesterday wasn't so bad and the horses didn't look so bad, so no rinsing planned. Apache refused to go to the pasture. I turned him around and headed t the wash bay and he happily followed me in. Usually I have to move him backwards in the wash bay because knows what is coming and doesn't want in. Over the past week I have added a nice sprayer wand that I actually put on him and massage him. He seems to like that. A couple days ago I started turning a little hot water on the get the chill off, I think that was the ticket. He didn't like the cold well water. He is a very itchy horse during the summer and now I think I can give him a really good bath with medicated shampoo that I hope will help his itching some.  Didn't want to do a bath until I was confident I could get ALL the soap off of him.

Good rain after Horse Dinner as a cold front moved thru. 84 today as opposed to upper nineties. 

• HI Face, Hi Everyone!

Face, glad you made some progress! We have that with the fly spray. Aimee hates it in the beginning of the summer, but by the end will follow you until you put some on.

Enjoying a beautiful summer morning out on the porch watching the animals with a cup of tea. I should make this a daily ritual.

Haven't posted much in a long time, but I do peek during the week to see what everyone's up to. It's been a busy summer. We're in the middle of a huge house project, L graduated and is moving on to grad school (she was in 4th grade when we joined the Forum!), and I've been preparing for the new school year.

We're supposed to get some thundershowers this afternoon. The grass is nice and green right now, but if we could get a little shower every few days, that would mean I wouldn't have to buy hay or seriously feed until maybe November.

Have a great Sunday!

• Hi CPG!!!!!!

Mostly resting here, except for chores and some watering.

• Hi!  Life has been crazy but mostly good.  We were on an Alaskan cruise when I got word Cody was colicking ☹️  Lots of back and forth phone calls and texts with our wonderful pet sitter and the vet.  On Friday, he hadn't passed the oil, hadn't been allowed food in 4 days, had been getting IV fluids everyday and was starting to act painful and sucked up.  Talked to my vet and the one at the equine hospital and since he was a surgical candidate  we decided it was time for an x-ray.  I was in Canada by then and arranged for wonderful friends in my "village" to haul him to the equine hospital.  They found his small intestines were enlarged and the walls were thickened, murky fluid on a belly tap.  Blood work showed no stones or impaction, but slow motility of his intestines.  Final diagnosis was a mystery virus, fecal came back negative.  Gradually started him back on soaked pellets and brought him home home on the 4th of July.  Kelly's horse, Tahoe got sick the Sunday morning we got back, fever, lethargy, no appetite.  Had the vet out right away, IV bute, antibiotic injections, fluids the next day plus ulcer meds and he gradually improved.  Quarantined for 14 days and the year are doing well other than Cody has some residual edema on his belly.  Expensive month but thankfully we could afford it and both horses are good and no one else caught it, especially Spirit who shares the pasture.  

Rode a mule today!  A new riding friend let me ride her since Cody isn't back under saddle yet.  She was great!  Very hot here, 100's pretty much every day so we've been mostly feeding and loving on them since we couldn't go anywhere either.....  The babies are good.  Lacey, the donkey is 8 months now and Lola my approximately 2 year old filly is so beautiful!  Wish I could figure out how to add picture so on here......

Glad you've figured out the key to hosing off apache, face!  I've got to start getting Lola used to fly spray and bathing before she gets much bigger.  

CPG-  sounds like you're getting some nice relaxing in.  Grad school, seems like yesterday they were in 4H...... our youngest two will be a junior and senior I need college this year.  

DH-  it's probably the Sam England temp she for you and we've had had unusual humidity!

Now that we are out of quarantine, we're  picking up a cute POA gelding from our local equine Rescue where Lacey, the Jenny is from as a summer  project for Kelly.  WEll see what's he knows, etc hi him going under saddle and maybe get himself into a new a home.  He came from our local animal shelter, emaciated.  

Well, gotta go figure out what's for dinner!  Ive bee not baking all kinds of gluten-free breads and goodies this summer

Hope everyone is well!