Quick Post

Here's a fifth

Here's a fifth
  • of July. ;)

Cooking brisket and baked mac and cheese.
    My sis has guests from MN but she is working.
    I said i would cook. That way I can get their giant 12 pound brisket out of my freezer at the cabin.

We worked yesterday. It was hot so took it easy.
    Cleaned stalls.
    Unloaded rocks on way to Ever After.
    Fed Cattle. Picked up more rocks from the weaning pen.
    Unloaded rocks on way back to house.
    Ate lunch. Started clearing some brush on east fence.
    Went to DaneHaven and cleaned stalls and waters.
    Came back and cleaned up to go to Freiburg and watch fireworks.
    Brought horses in and fed.

We went to get in car to go and Pilot said "you know we can watch fireworks on tv."
    Yes! Drinks on the couch. (peach soda)

Face - Good plan with saddles. We will have to do that if riding horses are at Ever After.

Hunterseat. At least you could get to Texas!

Connie - I need to buy and move hay starting next week. It will be mostly rounds this year.

Dana- So happy your horse is back home!

DB- We ride with some mule-ers. He claims to be a trainer. They use big shank bits and huge spurs. What kind of training is that?

Where's Stude?

Everyone enjoy their 5th!

• I'm trying to figure out the "took it easy" part of your post. Doesn't  seem to add up. :)

Wondering about Stude, too.

Yes, I'd love to be in Texas. It's 23 on my list of best places to retire. I know different lists have different rankings. There are several factors involved, some of which I don't care about like culture and health care quality. It's #5 for Taxes, that's big. #5 for weather. 11 for cost of living (out of 50). You know where CT is for cost of living? Just ahead of Alaska, Hawaii, and California. Yup, #47. Anyway, I'm just going to go with the flow. No biggee. I've got to get my "high 3". I can move anywhere. It would just be easier to work where I'm going to stay forever.

OH One of my MWD K9 handlers is at San Antonio for, I think, a year. Maybe 6 months. She's the sweetest and she's a horse lover. She's a 1st class petty officer (E6). I was wondering if she could come play with the horses? I promise she's a great kiddo. Think about it. I haven't said anything to her.

I think I'm going to go to the DC area next weekend to visit my friend who just bought the horse. She needs to feel comfortable and secure. I think she has the perfect mare. Anyway, I'm thinking a road trip (FINALLY). It's about 5hrs and we all know that's doable for me. :) (Wichita Falls to Harper, for example)

I'm pretty wiped out. Hope to get to sleep soon.

• Made room for hay and started unloading it this morning.  Took a break and Cal came home so back over and we unloaded and stacked. Then Tom stopped and helped and told us we needed to go down and get more.  We did.  Cal's second son stopped and helped us unload and then he took our truck to the shop and replaced a front right U joint?  He said it was bad.  He said our sway bars need some new bolts but he didn't have time.  Once that is done we should be good.  He brought the truck back just in time for us to go and get 26 more bales.   We put in 241 bales today.  If she eats like she ate last winter we have enough  to get us through.  We are still waiting for decent weather so we can get our hay in on our own land. I need to do some major shifting around in the barn.  Since we started using rounds and generally only get two at a time things have crept into the barn for storage.

Stude, hope you are well. We miss you.

I didn't do as much of the physical work as Cal but did do my share and am feeling it.  Tomorrow I get to go to the Dentist and get a crown.thrills.  Might even go to the food auction tomorrow night if we are up to staying up...last night we got in bed and had an awful time getting to sleep.  I guess our bodies were getting even for all the exercise we gave them.

• OH I wanted to add: The organization in NYC would give me an opportunity to possibly retire at a higher rate. Also, with that organization I can go anywhere. That would be a great reason to hope for the NYC job, which I have if they are able to proceed with filling that position. hrrrr...

• hunterseat - Watching 2 of my sons change jobs the past couple of years has been a painful thing. It can be such a LONG drawn out process. Just when you think you are in, you are booted out.