Quick Post

Happy 4th Everyone

Happy 4th Everyone
  • Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe Fourth of July.

Plan is to take Fancy and Apache for a ride this morning. The horses are at a pasture up on a hill. So we drive up and park, grab the horses, and walk them to the barn. After the ride we hook them to a tree and this is how we transport the saddles back to the barn. 

Plan on smoking a turkey *** for dinner and just piddling around the rest of the day.

• HAPPY 4TH! Turkey boobs? LOOK! Someone rides in an English! :) I'm telling you, the synthetic saddles seem to make so much sense for lightweight and Australian for security. Hope your ride was a good one!  Nice having a gaitor around the farm!

I'm so glad V is enjoying Tex! Took a while to get her to try him, didn't it? I know he's big but such a great horse.

No sweat on the job. I have to trust that I'll get the job I'm supposed to have. The Boulder job is a no-go, too. Not sure if I ever mentioned that one. I've got tons of rejections! :)

I think the kiddo is going with me to the cookout today. I hope so. He's such good company and I want to show him off. There are "kids" there his age, too. lol (early 20's)

Nice having a day off, then two on, then a 3-day weekend. Might go to DC to visit my friend.

• Beautiful day here.  Temps are low and so is the humidity.  Hope to have hay ready tomorrow to bale.  We asked for the lot but since we don't have equipment, neighbor Tom is doing it with the help of his BIL and family and we will buy some from him...Hope it works for us.  I would love to get at least 200 bales in the barn.

Whisper refused to go to the pasture  this morning.  Only stayed in the barnyard walking the gate, wanting back in.  I let her in.  Then saddled her up.  hee hee.  Took her for a little ride.  We went down the scary road to the pasture with out much issue.  Hubby started out walking with us...mostly to break some of the bamboo so I wouldn't get clobbered.  She did need verbal encouragement from him to go down the really steep but short hill and then  listened when I told her we were going to the pasture and not back to the barn. She is not bad, just a little bit of gentle testing.  She was perfect otherwise and has totally remembered what neck reining is.  Brought her back and rode a bit in the yard and then unsaddled her.  She wanted back in the barn.  I relented.  Maybe the deer or the deerflies scare her down there?  Or maybe she gets lonely.  It is a waste of perfectly good pasture however.

may or may not have people coming over to cook out later. not a fun prospect. Cal has fasting blood work tomorrow and does not need carbs, starch, sugar before having it done.  He has trouble understanding that and the people coming (if they come) really do not care.

Sorry you wont' be in my neck of the woods, Hunter.  Just saw where someone got a transfer to Drum and they are looking to buy a place with an indoor near there....

Happy Independence Day!!!Thank you to all who have worked to make this a free country.

• Just applied to a job in Austin. See? There's always a silver lining!

Connie, your pasture sounds wonderful. Silly Whisper!

• it feels like a long weekend here.  didnt do much at work yesterday.  

First full day of Sally and Ike turned out OK.  looks like Ike got a hoof on her.  :(  fixed the barn so they can come in on their own.  tied open a stall door so they can be in the stall or stand in the door way.  so in reality they have about 2 - 9'x10' areas.  

hoping my old bighorn will fit her.  Yes, Hunter... ill most likely be asking Mules for help.  i dont think ill need to use a crupper or britchin, but will see.

Ive plans to take her along to drill team on Friday.  we are just making friends right now.  

im sorta ticked at ike for being a butt to her.  he is totally acting the domanate mare...  what a turd!

hope you all have a great day.  its would be a nice day here if it wasnt for the damn horse and deer flys :(

• After feed, I talked Cal into helping me get the gaited saddle over to the barn..along with a girth, the bridle I had just rigged up and the camera.  I bridled Whisper and, taken up all the way it is still a bit long but not too long.  Put the saddle on her.  It has drop billets and I used a 26" girth.  it is a little too long, but maybe I can adjust the straps. It is okay but , I think next I will use the John Lyons.  Anyhoo, I rode her around the barnyard and had a sweet little time with her.  

We came in and ate.  Then the phone rang.  They were baling and had 300 on the ground already.  We grabbed our stuff (forgot water) and hooked the truck to the trailer and off we went.  We got a load on the trailer and a small load on the truck.  I am guesstimating we got about 125 bales home.  Will count them when we put them in the barn tomorrow..  Not sure what Tom will charge us for the equipment use but it is nice hay, the bales are decent sized and it is dry.  It is way better than I thought it would be.  Whisper approved of the handful I gave her.

Cal worked in the yard all day and then this tonight.  He is exhausted.  He has blood work tomorrow.  Dr.  appointment next week.  Interested in seeing what his blood work shows.  Been working on his cholesterol, and trying to get him to comply with a sugar free diet....I am better at not eating the stuff than he is.                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Before I came in, I moved the feed we had stored by the hay...two bags had holes apparently rodents found it.  Now I have to find a place for it.   Then I moved the round bale where the feed was..that makes better use of the space and we can bring the square bales in tomorrow.  I need to find a way to make better use of space in the barn...starting with moving things Cal stores in there over to the shed down the side that was supposed to be the hay shed...I gave up on that being my space a long time ago..dirt floor and even with pallets the bottom bales are  ruined.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.  I hear booms outside so someone around here has fireworks.