Quick Post

Saturday Celebration

Saturday Celebration
  • The friends that i ranch sat for are celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary.
    A ceremony at church to renew their vows. then a BBQ and reception after.
    That is the plan for today except for cattle and horse care.

Yesterday was a long hot day at Cowies. (Richard and Shirlene)
    We passed the cement truck going out and were fearful there would be cement but no crew but all was well.
    The slab was already poured by the time we got there.
    The cement crew had a cancellation and were able to do it early in the morning.

We pulled in and met up with R&S. Shirlene said her surgery Wed. morning was successful. She said she felt major relief even before she was fully awake from the anesthesia.
    Her hand is heavily bandaged and splinted. But it doesn't stop her. After lunch she went to town and upon returning found that the neighbors bull was in their pasture.
    She proceeded to chase until she came upon a white racer snake that thought she should not be in the pasture. She decided the snake was right and abandoned the endeavor.

Tasks for the day were many and varied. Priority was to move the air compressor and it it's shelter to a new location. Add gravel and level.
    And dig out a drain line with LuckyBoys help.
    Loaded more metal for scrap. ShyBoy took on weed eating.
    It was interesting that early on Shirlene was more for disposing of metal tools etc.that had burned and Richard was more for saving and trying to resurrect items.
    Now the roles have reversed. Shirlene is wanting to try and save and Richard is more for disposal???

I brought lunch of bbq baby back ribs and beans.
    Garlic bread and chocolate pudding for dessert.
    Richard said he had been thinking about ribs and that he hadn't had any in a very long time.

After lunch ShyBoy broke down a lot of boxes and ShyBoy watered the slab.
    Pilot and I took on a job of plumbing. Numerous valves and leaks but we got it all sorted out and plumbed to the slab and ostrich pen.
    There was one last drip that may seal itself.
    ( they have an ostrich named Popeye, A pet of their ostrich raising days)

That was the end of the day except for giving them the bags of clothes and one of the boot jacks that Richard had asked me to procure.
    He said how badly he felt that they had to ask for things. I said how blessed I was to be able to find all the things they need.
    He thanked me for all the canned goods last week but now with Shirlene's hand heavily bandaged she couldn't operate the can opener.
    I happily pulled an electric can opener out of the bag and gave it to him.

A friend had sent a bag of bath towels and Shirlene said they also need kitchen towels.
    I will bring some on Friday.

Nice to see DB!
    Everyone have a great weekend!!

• We went to the monthly machinery and 'stuff' auction today.  We got a swing out saddle rack for the trailer...a nice one, and Cal bought 5 four by five+ thick rubber mats for the trailer...they are really cushy, and made out of shredded rubber...hope they hold up.  They are a bugger to cut.  We need one more strip cut off and may not put any in the nose..a round area and cutting these mats would be hard.  the mats are about three inches thick.  Things are looking up in  the trailer department.  Cal said that some of the stuff he got at the feed mill auction included swing gates for a slant load.  I will have to look them over and see if that is what they are an measure them to see if one will fit in the trailer.  If it won't work, I will have to buy a gate for the front.  the trailer is shaping up.

Whisper's eye seems okay.  Vet is supposed to be here Monday to take care of the annual stuff.  Then she will be good to go anywhere.

Glad things are looking up for  Richard and Shirlene.

• It really is a blessing for R & S AND for you that you're finding things they need. Fun, in a way. It's like Richard's prayers are sent heavenward and God lays  it on your heart , using you. Praise God! (are they in a camper temporarily?)

Connie, so glad Whisper's eye is okay. Eye problems are a bugger, aren't they? And great news on the trailer.

Glad to get my hair cut and colored yesterday. Really is a first step to going gray. I like my stylist but it's not cheap. :o

We went to church last night. Remember the forum member who raises mules - Diamondback Mules, I think is her ranch's name? I'm trying to remember her forum name. SpotteMules? Anyway, she's having some serious medical stuff going on. If anyone prays.....

It's Sunday but... I felt like posting here. Maybe I'm lazy. It's a good day to be lazy. :)