Quick Post

Monday means

Monday means
  • Sunday is over.
    Phew it was a long day.
    Pilot and I split duties at the crack'o dawn.
    He went to check and feed cows while I went and did friend's horse and dogs.
    All were fine. Apparently Madam Real Cocoa has taken over the herd, as I would have expected.

We met back at our gate at the same time, loaded up and caravanned out to Richard and Shirlene's with family and friends G&K.
    Richard and Shirlene are hard working ranchers and builders. Complete and utter devastation is all I can say. I was glad to see them looking so good considering.
    Part of one of Richard's fingers fell off as we got ready to start.
    We all hugged and headed to work.

Sis and I and the boys started raking around the slab with rakes and magnets. We filled buckets with metal remnants. screws, nails, melted keys, measuring cups etc.
    Richard climbed into a borrowed bobcat under his own power. (amazing) And the men went to loading large burned remnants, stove etc... into giant haul off dumpsters.
    Nothing salvageable. A brand new kawasaki mule burned up, golf cart, bed all just molten metal.

We broke for lunch and Richard related the story.
    After lunch, Richard had the men haul a huge molten tool box up onto a makeshift table. It was my job to pry it open and sort out his precious tools that were burned and rusted. I nearly sobbed through the task. He bought a grinder and plans to sit and polish them back to usability. He has burned up hands and fingers.
    I still have all of Jim's tools at Danehaven so guess where they are going.

They only have weekends and they needed to load up and head back to the rehab in San Antonio. So we broke off at about 4pm?
    Shirlene tearfully thanked you all for your prayers when I told her you all were following their story.

We looked like we had been in fire. Headed home and back into cell service I got the message that friend's husband's flight was delayed.
    He was coming home while she stayed longer to visit with her sister in Florida. So back to the ranch to pick up keys and go feed horse and dogs for the evening.
    Then about halfway home C called and said their bull was out.
    So we blasted to their gate to find the bull was still on their lane, not the county road with access to the highway.
    We got the bull herded back to the barn with our suv, and 2 four wheelers.

Finally back home to do my own chores only to find hogs had torn up the round pen area.
    They also had been around the stalls and round bale feeder. (!!&*%@#!!)

Hot showers, grilled cheeses and to bed.

Today should be a better day?
    Happy Monday everyone!

• Hogs?!!! That's BBQ on the hoof, right? Please don't tell me they're pets.

Wow, you're like a superhero, you guys, all of you, even Richard and Shirlene.

I applied for the Safety position where I am and blew the application. ugh. So no chance there. Back to awaiting some word from NYC.

Something bit me on both feet (I don't think it was chiggers) on Saturday night when I took dogs out. I'm so miserable. I'm pretty good not to scratch but when the shoes come off - wow.

• Pigs as pets... HONESTLY Hunter!  You don't make pets out of food.  Chiggers that far north???  Scary thought.  I do hope whatever it is gives you some relief soon.

So glad to hear Richard and Shirlene are finally able to deal with their loss at home.  Poor things.  

I am almost done with the hill on the west side of the barn.  Only a strip eight by twenty feet and the whole area will be level.  Well, not exactly level as it's pretty rough, though sloped away at least from the barn now.  So nice to finally get this job done.  I've been working on it now for five years.  The new tractor is a Godsend!  Once I'm done with this I can go to work on the Carriage trail out back and the driving arena out there too.  At this point we can drive the horses out through the barn and into the back paddock.  When the future arena is sufficiently dry, I am going to do so.  The east end of it almost is but the west end is still a swamp.  Jmebear has asked me to start moving the excavated dirt into the back by the west end of the future arena where the rains in '03 eroded out part of it.  I believe that I'll also put in a rock barrier at the north-west corner of that area to prevent it from happening again.  When that job is done, I should have an area levelled out of about one hundred by four hundred feet.  The biggest problem is going to be controlling the blackberries.  But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.  One step at a time.

Face, your Apache reminds me of my Socks.  I might try riding him again this year... maybe.  My back and knees had me in a lot of pain last time.  Right now I need to get he and Crystal working in harness on a regular basis again.  As fat as he currently is though, Socks should be a comfortable ride.  Bareback anyway.

Well, I've been up too long again on the World Wide Waste of time.  I do hope everyone around here have a great night and a better Tuesday!

• Get you some of this, works really well.

• Hair dryer on chiggers.