Quick Post

Saturday happenings

Saturday happenings
  • Today has been good. Cal and I went to Vernon and got feed.  We next stopped at the diner near the livestock sale barn and had a good breakfast with wonderful coffee.  On the way home, I suggested we stop at the thrift shop.  Good idea.  It was free day.  They are getting rid of the winter stuff and getting ready to put out spring things.  It is easier to give away the items than to sort, pack away or pack and send to recycling.  Got myself some nice jackets, blouses and turtlenecks.  I love thrift shopping.  Leaves me more $ for the critters.

Took Cal over to the barn to do afternoon chores.  He is trying to make friends with Whisper.  He stands in front of her and she looks past him at me.  I was warned Arabs can get to be one person horses.  Hope she takes a liking to him.  He is in love with her physical beauty, typical male.

The new horse is settled in.  Actually, he acted settled in as soon as he got in his stall the first day.  He really likes his hay and water.  He eats and drinks like he hasn't had enough.  I saw pictures of him in January and he has gained a lot of weight since then, but I think he was out in a group setting and don't think he got much chance at the round bales.  They bought high fat feed for him and apparently gave it to him because he is looking good and should look great in a month or two.

I bought one of those shrimp rings...the small kind with the cocktail sauce in the middle, they come frozen.  We had that and cheese for supper.  It was a pleasant change.

Glad to read (the other day) that the burn victims are doing well.  I know it is a long process healing from that but they are making progress and that is wonderful news.

Hope everyone has a blessed Sunday.

• If Cal wants to make friends with Whisper, have him feed her.  That should get his foot in the door.  You haven't had her long enough for a deep relationship to develop.  Feeding Whisper is one way for Cal to insert himself into her attentions.  Most especially if he feeds her treats from time to time.  Yeah, it takes time.  If he is truly interested in her, this is a great way to start out.  He must keep in mind though, Arabs are demanding and will pine when ignored.  However, in her eyes you are likely her hero.  She likely equates you with rescuing her from the previous situation.  That may take some time for Cal to get around.  Also, if she likes women over men, there's nothing Cal can do to capture her affections.

Start him with feeding.  And maybe grooming too.  The two things horses love the most, food and grooming.  Keep a subtle eye on them, but keep out of sight as much as possible.  

• Face-I'm sorry to hear your father has passed but it sounds like he was ready.  I hope you have lots of good memories to make you smile when you think of him.

We're in Las Vegas this weekend celebrating Kelly's 21st birthday with the 3 girls.  Gary flew 4 of us out  and our oldest flew out from Long Beach on Friday afternoon.  We've been eating at nice restaurants, saw 2 good shows, went through the fascinating Bodies and sad Titanic exhibits today.  Back home tomorrow.