Quick Post

General Cane Updated (5/22)

General Cane Updated (5/22)
  • I agree with Shiver and also Harley.  And I think Painted Lady said it well.You have tried everything and done everything. I know I would be over my head and the horse would be gone. Who knows how many years we all have to ride and I know not one of us wants to waste what we have. There are a lot of good horses out there. I love to ride and I love my horse who had a few issues to work out when I first got him, but nothing to the extent you have. It is a hobby we love, but an expensive hobby even with out all the expense you have been out. If he cant trust you now, will he ever? And will you ever be able to ride him and relax and enjoy it? What ever you decide  we all are behind you 100%. Sounds like the rescue group is well equipped for this and not with their hand out. Anyone can call themselves a trainer, but doesnt mean they are one. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Just hate to see you agonizing over this and not being able to really get out and ride!! I am not as cold hearted as I sound. I have a 21 yr old TWH I have had since he was 5 and a MFT i have had for six yrs. They take good care of me and I will take good care of them.
  • Good luck with everything Tanya.  If you were to decide to try a little more with him, my trainer travels all over the country doing clinics, I know she is frequently in the New England area.  She has years of experience with this type of situation and would be able to break it down in a way that you could work on inbetween.  Hopefully, everything goes well and he improves over the next couple weeks.  I tried PMing you her website info before, but couldn't get through.  Let me know if you would like to check it out.
  • You are something, amazing actually.  This is not easy, but.. "the answers will come". 

Your husband sounds great because he is there for you and adds some dose of reality.  My husband does the same.  I really appreciate that. 

We are here for you... either way. 
  • Hubby sounds like a keeper! [':)']
  • I wanted to let you all know what has been going on.  Cane has had up's & down's.  We have still found no rhyme or reason to why and when he will lose it. 

Here is an example:  Monday it was very windy and the indoor was very loud.  He spent the first few minutes very excited (most horses would) then settled in very nicely.  About 1/2 through the ride another horse was brought into the area and was being ridden too (this horse and Cane are worked togeter often).  The horse was passing Cane (plenty of room) and it swished it's tale and he LOST IT!!!!!!!!!!!! to the point of flying 20ft sideways.

After a long conversation with Wanda, my husband, my dad (whom I got the horse bug from) and my farrier we are all in agreement.  Cane is a horse with a great personality, very athletic but a nut job under saddle.  I am a good rider and Wanda said a "heck of a hand with horses".  BUT I do not ride "ON" 100% of the time.  I am not fully focused on my riding a 100% of the time (I think very few riders are).  Cane sometimes gives a warning before he bolt and other times does not.  He can and most likely will hurt me/someone.  I also talked with the person I bought him from and she feels that something happened to him at the first trainer's also.  She said she is fine with whatever decision I make.  Cane had become herd bound with Jake and has at Wanda's also and been worse.  I love this horse dearly and do not want him to end up with the wrong person.

I will try to re-home him to an approved home-I have put out a few feelers.  It is with the stipulation that he will be a pasture pet only and NEVER be ridden.  If I do not find something that I feel comfortable with I will put him down. 

So that is where I am at.  I went through my horse goals, my personal goals and what I need to do that is best for me and my family.

Thanks for listening.  I know you may not agree with this, but I feel that 3 years  lots of $$$$$$ later I have to draw a line somewhere.

• Hi Tanya,

From what you are describing, Cane will not be a safe horse under saddle and you are worth way too much to yourself, your husband and your son to risk riding him.  If you knew what his triggers were, that would be one thing but the fact that he is unpredictable makes him dangerous.  I hope you can find that pasture pet home for him, but even if you don't, we all agree you've given him more than anyone could expect.  There's another horse out there for you who will fit your needs emotionally and physically.  He's been lucky to have you but at the end of the day, he is a horse, not a person and your life comes first.  Hang in there ':)'
  • Dana...I don't think anyone could have said it better!  Kudos to you!
    Tanya...please take care of you....for us.  OK??
  • I don't blame you a bit for the decision to let him go.  There's an answer somewhere but he's not the same horse you first got.  You didn't sign on to be a horse whisperer or an equine shrink and spend years fixing someone else's screw up only to end up with a decent trail horse.....if your lucky.  I really hope you get the perfect horse for the direction you'd like to take.  You're like a saint for trying so hard for Cane.  I know he loves you but he has demons he's dealing with that are making him dangerous.  I'd advertise him to trainers who spout the P, CA, MR.... whatever natural trainer.  I'd present him as a challenge to one of them who believe in taking years to get a horse ready to ride and do no harm and low pressure...etc.  If nothing else, they will love him from the ground and give him a pasture life.  I wouldn't put the disclaimer on him not to be ridden but I'd clearly spell out the dangers.  The right key will unlock his little brain and free him one day.  Maybe he will be an old man by then, but.....  Big hugs to you and Cane.  If your trainer friend has given up on him I'd bring him home where he is loved to the fullest if you can.  Again, I'd pitch in on shipping if you found a place that would be willing to take the challenge. Big hugs and much horsie love. [':)']
  • I wouldn't put the disclaimer on him not to be ridden but I'd clearly spell out the dangers. The right key will unlock his little brain and free him one day. Maybe he will be an old man by then, but..... Big hugs to you and Cane. If your trainer friend has given up on him I'd bring him home where he is loved to the fullest if you can. Again, I'd pitch in on shipping if you found a place that would be willing to take the challenge. Big hugs and much horsie love.

I thought the above, from Hunter, was well said and I agree with her.  I would also chip in on the shipping.

Throughout this decision making process you have shown such great character.  The tough decisions are hard but you went about making this difficult one using such a solid and balanced process, wow!    Things will turn out to be just fine.   ':o')  Hang in there.  ':o')
  • It sounds like you are doing the right thing for your situation.  Given his breeding, I'm guessing he would be bored out of his mind being a pasture pet.  I also understand it will be difficult to place him.  Please remember though, although he is completely healed from his former injury, its very possible that his body developed some incorrect holding patterns that are not very noticeable to most people.  If so, a NH trainer would be able to help the mind, but the body may take a little longer, or just be completely ignored and have an influence on him later in life, and it probably has something to do with how protective he is of himself now and how strong his flight reflex is. 

You are in a tough situation, he sounds like an amazing little horse, I'm sure you will find the right solution.
  • Wanted to update everyone.  I have sent out TONS of e-mails little to no luck.  I do have one potential interest.
    I am trying really hard to keep options open for him.  I found someone who is interested in a 1 yr, trial.  They are out of state and have asked for copies of all medical records--- getting that ready to send.  I have stressed he is "sound" but not "sane". 

I have made an appt with the vet for once school gets out to get Jake Chiro'd and possibly do what I need to with Cane that day.  It is a tough call, but one I need to make.
  • I wish you the best of luck that is one hard decision.