Quick Post

Throwback Thursday

Throwback Thursday
  • Kristin, Carrie and me on horses, 1982.jpg
    One of my high school buddies I have reconnected with through FB posted this picture of the 3 horsie girls on a ride back in probably 1982. I lost almost all my photos in my parents' house fire in '95 so it is neat to get a treasured momento once in a while. Hubby flew to Chicago, then Toledo last night and will be in Wasseon until Sunday for a motorcycle event. Nice, cool morning here. The sun is just starting to come out. Had ripe bananas so made banana bars, yum! Still working on neatening up the house but I seem to have ADHD because I get started on one job, then get distracted and start doing something else and don't finish the first job! Well, hope everyone has a great day :)
  • We're waiting on a tractor tire to be delivered here at the Walking Bear.  Every truck that goes by on the road gets me to turn my head wondering.  The tractor has been down for months as the tires are nearly four hundred dollars locally.  We were able to find one for less than half that before shipping.  After shipping it was still a hundred dollars less.

It's overcast and not too warm yet.  I hope this will hold out most of the day.  It would make for a nice break in the heat.  So far so good...

• Started to organize things for the sale this weekend.  Not an easy task considering the barn is full and it is raining so we had to tarp the things we had to leave outside (came from another location)  One more trailer load, and it is a big trailer full of left overs from the sale we had a little over six months ago, and everything will be there.  Then it is just display and mark.

Stopped and picked up my 'new' harness today.  It is complete with a closed bridle and has thimbles so using it should be no problem.  It even has its own harness bag.  Pretty good deal for my $20.

Got up this morning at 3:15 so I could take Oldest Stepson and his wife to the airport.  They are going to her brother's wedding in California.  Great time to go to the airport...no traffic on the way in nor on the way back.  Made really good time.  Should sleep well tonight, this day is getting long.

It is always nice to see pictures from the past that evoke good memories, Dana.

Have a great day, all.

• Great picture Dana! I was in my first year of service with the USMC at that time. You know? I have a bad habit of clicking out of the picture and closing the internet. grr... I have to remember to hit the back button!

Dana, does your hubby have a fb page or other connection to other pilots? One of my facility coordinators is a pilot and it occurred to me today he might like to link up with that crazy old plane bunch. This guy is fixed wing now but has lots of combat time in helos.

Connie, did you ever unload all that stuff I stuck you with? :) I hope so. It was beloved stuff but I'm having fun accumulating again. Trying to be really selective. Right now it's got to be functional. Although I have probably too many pyrex and covered dishes.

Happy volunteer day off, MK! I hope you got some of your stuff done. The flight to Austin looks really good. (southwest) I really need a break.....

I drove a Dodge Avenger today. I think that's been my favorite rental car so far. Crazy day. But it's my Friday so YAY!!!!!

• Yes, Hunter, I unpacked it.  Some I will always keep.  Everytime I see that big robe or the race horse pitcher  I think of you.  Of course, the truck always brings you to mind.  Looking at cars now.  I think Hubby wants the truck...love the way it handles and rides.

• Day off was for pleasure.

We got 1 -1/2 total rain so far.

Hunter - come on if  you are ready to ride your butt off.

• Connie, do please do your horse a favour and ditch those thimbles!  Call Sandy at Iowa Valley Carriage (641) 484-4784.  She can set you up with a proper britching for that harness and your horse will be much more comfortable.  About the only thing thimbles are good for is creating Fistulous Withers.  Unless of course, you have no intention of driving anywhere but a table-top flat, well groomed, arena.  Then they're okay, I suppose...

This link was posted on the R.E.D. list and I thought some people here might find it interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=673313442748839&set=vb.100002105677650&type=2&theater

The harness this mule is wearing was very commonly used in heavy carts and wagons in the nineteenth century.  Obviously it's still in use in Eastern Europe and Spain.  I just thought how this mule worked on voice and whistle alone with little or not physical contact (or reins) was very impressive.

Here's another just for giggles:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=546806308690124&set=vb.100000822792524&type=2&theater

Whomever combined the threads, thank you.  The current name is better than the lame one I came up with.

Okay, old photos.  I don't have access to any really old ones.  However, how about this:

That's me twenty years ago, a lot slimmer and yet thirty pounds heavier.  Can't see my hair which is tied tightly up in a ponytail and tucked in the back of my shirt.  What can I say?  Ponytails were popular in Data Processing.

If that doesn't scare you, how about this from the seventies?

Here's one of my wife in 1981:

The fellow she's holding in the basket is now a cage fighter and really scary, LOL!   Seriously, even to me, his old man.  That lovely belly-dancer I've posted pictures of was sleeping in her play-pen in the tackroom.

I have some even older, if you want reeeeealy scary ones.   They're in Fawn Lodge though.  So not accessible for now, lucky you!

• Stude, I have never driven anything with a britching but a draft horse, and then it was only to and from the manure sled.  I have always used a race harness and since I have a jog cart, which is really light, I will just use the harness with the thimbles.  I do not plan on any major road driving, just want to see if she actually does drive.  Hopefully, using a saddlepad (harness one) and saddle towels will keep her withers safe for what little time she will be harnessed.  Thanks for the concern.  If I was going to do any real road driving I would need something other than a jog cart with stirrups, after a few miles I am sure my legs would complain.

I like your pictures.   and...cage fighter?