Quick Post

Places with horse ears

Places with horse ears
  • Wow, I love that blue glacier melt water!   I know how COLD it would be, too!  What  a good horse!
  • Yup, it's lovely country up there.  He was a great little horse... took me up moose trails going straight up the mountain.
  • That indeed was a nice thread.
    I don#%92t have any horse-ears-photos but I really enjoyed yours.
    When I was younger my parents didn#%92t let me take the camera with me – too bad.
  • OK just ONE more from last weekend, on Mt Muler, Olympic Nt'l Forest, elevation 3200 feet

• Oh Good one.  Love riding in the fog.  And that looks like a great trail cutting across a steep hillside.
  • Fancy and I were out exploring when we ran into a horse facility that I had no clue was there. This is us looking across a pasture that has some cross country jumps and a view of a large pond. On the other side of the pond and up the hill is the barn.

• Love those Haflingers in the mountains.
  • A great thread to revive!  I have some ear pictures I took JUST so I could post them here!  (way back in the summer)  I'll have to dig them out! 
    So face, you can start sneaking in and practicing your jumping!!!  [':)']
  • Now you gone and done it, Hunt. An excuse to load more pix!!![';)']

• Some more? RMNP,Colo

• face did it. [':)']  Great pictures!!!!  Those slopes are what my nightmares are made of.

btw, when I first got Zag he'd been raised for the track.  He did NOT know how to go down hills!  No hills on race tracks!  He would go down nose first!  I mean ON his nose!  I think he's got the hang of sitting down a little.  He's a thinker but he was none too bright on that lesson!  I'd REALLY be in trouble in the mountains!!
  • He could do the mtns! They dont want to fall any more than you do.[';)']
    Sherry bought Diesel from Nashville,Tn, as a three yr old who had been only worked for the show ring and in an arena.  He had never been on a trail, we found out.We drove down one Friday and picked him up.(about seven hours from our house to theirs) I had just got Cay that week so we took him along. Guy said Diesel would load,no problem, and he did.NO problem!! We drove back to Land between the lakes in Ky and got there really late(about midnight). Finally found two open stalls and went to unload. Well, Diesel wouldnt back out of the trailor and Cay was in the front!After coaxing and trying a little bit of everything, we just left them in there and went to bed. Next morning, with the help of some good trail riders, we got him out.(long story,shortened) So now we have been telling each other, these are new horses. Not like the been everywhere,done it all, horses we have at home so have to remember that. Easy enuff,right?? Well, People camping next to us wanted to go for a short ride. I hate saddling up for only an hour or so, so onlly Sherry was going. She tied Diesel to the trailor and walked around to get her saddle. He had never been tied by himself, pulled back , broke the lead rope clip, and took off. We hear this commotion, think " oh someones horse is loose", walk around the trailor, and there goes Diesel,head and tail up, awesome gait, across the camp ground. [:-]Thinking there goes our money!! Luckily, he went over to where some horses were on a picket line, and stopped. Guy tells his wife,grab that horse, Ok this horse is 16'3" head up and snorting fire!( Well, maybe not fire). She said no way was she getting close so the guy reached up and grabbed Diesels halter and he settled right down.. OK now we learned two lessons...1. Make sure a horse will unload as well as load when you buy him. Both are important things to know and 2. You have to remember this is NOT your old been there,done that horse! So that should be the end of the story,right?
     Well,not quite. Sherry brought him back and saddled him up to ride with our neighbors, who are now offering to take that horse off her hands for $100. Off they go and Diesel is doing great until....they get to a hill. He had no idea whatsoever how to go up a hill or down a hill. So she spent a lot of time crowhopping,but he finally figured it out and the neighbors decided he might be worth a little more than that after all. Rest of our week was great! We may learn our lessons the hard way, but we remember them and we have a lot of fun! Diesel and Cay are now go anywhere, do it all horses!![':D'][':D']
    Oh did I mention he had always been stalled so had no respect for any kind of fence or a clue what it was??But thats another story![';)']
  • What a great story and a great beginning!