Quick Post

Keeping in touch with last owners.

Keeping in touch with last owners.
  • Hey Hoyt,

How many horses do you have?  What do you use them for?
  • [quote=4myquarter]

Hey Hoyt,

How many horses do you have?  What do you use them for?

Right now i have 4. But im just getting started. Sold and bought a few. And im just getting started in breeding horses.
    I use to use them for team penning and sorting but now just trail riding. Because of the economy and me not getting time to travel because of work. But im breeding cutting horses.
    matt
  • Thanks Hoyt.  Only reason I ask is to better understand the world you live in.  

I want to stay in touch with people I do business with.  Doesn't matter if it is my normal work business or horses.  I think it is a good thing.  Shows you care what happens and forms relationships.  They don't have to be tight relationships (and a person can dictate what kind of relationship) but to me shows sincerity and a desire to make sure things turn out okay...   Don't mean to get too philosophical here but frankly that is what this subject is, right? 

My successful experiences (and I have had many that were not) have come from relationships with people.  I love my equine as a friend and would want to stay in touch for that reason alone, but who you know and how you impress people and what you stand for is everything.  Your personal brand so-to-speak.  Anyway that is my opinion and may be worth what you have paid me for it.  (Get it? LOL)
  • But I am also sickened at all the money people send to ASAP and places like that. Many have an abundance of funds to "save" every animal that comes in. Including many animals that shouldn't be.

Please be very careful.  I know you clarified and meant the SPCA, but if you are going to say this please present the facts.  You absolutely have a right to your opinion, we just need to influence others with data.

I love you Shiv, but the SPCA is one of my few selected charities and I just have to say this.
  • I love you to 4my.

I understand. I should have made sure I was saying the right one. Especially on such a hot topic. My boo boo. I hope I have been forgiven.

I think people have a right to spend money they work so hard on anyway they want. I obviously am an animal lover. It is just hard for me seeing so many people struggle to pay their medical bills and people who just can't afford to get treatment. Then I turn the TV on and see the SPCA treating some animals that will doubtfully get better, or can be reabilitated. Many can though.  

I admit I have never been to the SPCA. All of my animals are rescues. But through rescue agencies or other avenues. I only know what I see on TV (and we shouldn't believe everything we see now should we) and what I hear others talk about. 

And to clarify to appy. I have never owned a foal. I have never owned a horse that was less than 10. I do like to make sure things are going well with the previous owner for a short time. Answer questions, make sure that they are a fit. But beyond that i typically don't keep in touch. I see why other people do it. just don't think everyone needs to.
  • Wow interesting topic. My first statement is I am in the horses are livestock camp. If a horse doesnt have a job, they go and I dont need to know whats going on down  the road. Now that said I have never sold an animal to someone I didnt at least know in passing. for example a mare I traded for my current gelding, went to a vendor at work I see 2 or 3 times a year. One of us will always say whats up with the horse?, My mule I sold to a lady i work with everyday. But if my vendor or coworker said I sold the mare/mule, I would be fine with it, their animal.....Kevin
  • I'm still in touch with the breeder of my mare [':)'] Teh hungarian world is very small so we all keep in touch.  I didn't keep in touch with the people I bought my first horse with but then he was 5 and not 7 months old. 
  • Horses are my business as well as my lifelong love.  I have kept in touch with quite a few of my horses' new owners.  Some I hear from  often, some only once or twice a year. I encourage buyers to contact me if they have a problem as well as  to tell me of their success stories. 

As a result of my "buyer/seller" relationships, I have not only seen the progress of the sold horse, but have gotten repeated business in the form of training, lessons, boarding, sales,  stallion service, consulation service,  and blanket repair.  If my buyers are completely happy with their relationship with me and the horses I produce, they tell their friends...and that is the best advertising anyone can have! 

• Personally I like owners to send at least 1 photo and update,  but most won't.  Especially a young horse or a puppy,  I like to see what they grew up to look like.
    Now I have sent updates on all 3 of my horses to previous owners and have become a good friend with one of the previous owners,  we meet up sometimes at horse camps and ride together.
  • As a result of my "buyer/seller" relationships, I have not only seen the progress of the sold horse, but have gotten repeated business in the form of training, lessons, boarding, sales, stallion service, consulation service, and blanket repair. If my buyers are completely happy with their relationship with me and the horses I produce, they tell their friends...and that is the best advertising anyone can have!

You got one good business head on your shoulders littlebit!
  • Interesting topic.  I don't mind getting an occasional call every now and then from people who have bought horses from me.  Now, one of my boarders sold a horse back in the beginning of June and that horses new owners call me to ask questions.  It gets a little annoying, but I appreciate that they are trying to do whats best for the horse so I return their calls and answer anyway.  I send an e-mail every now and then to one of the previous owners of my current horses, and bump into a few locally sometimes.  I don't find it mandatory and I find that most people don't.

I am going to fall into the horses are livestock section.  Now yes, I do have a few that are like family and I could never sell, but on the other hand I am with Shiver and have no problems with the idea of slaughter.  I would not slaughter my own of course, but as far as horses with physical issues, or the surplus of somewhat "useless" horses,  I don't have a personal problem with the idea.  I also have 2 pet pigs by my barn and a pen for food pigs in the back pasture.  Just because I have them as pets doesn't mean I have a problem eating ham.  My husband just says that Teddy and Reba are the lucky ones.

As far as rescues, I an associated with one.  I was actually dragged into it by my trainer to help develop a training program to get some turnover in there, as many of the horses had been there for years.  The organization has a lot of potential, but I have seen that some of my original views were wrong.  Originally, I was told by them that part of the vicious cycle with rescues was that rescue horses (which just about always have issues) are usually adopted by the novice owner.  People that had the experience to work with these horses didn't come to rescues to look for them.  This made sense, at first, until someone with almost 20 years of horse experience tried to adopt a horse that had been my personal project.  Her barn was well kept with her retired show horses, and now she just wanted to help one out.  Seemed ideal, until she was put through such an intense drilling in an interview that she just said "the heck with it".  I have to say that I personally wouldn't have gone through with it either.  Its one thing to check in with a previous owner, but a completely different thing to be breathing down their back and criticizing every decision.  I know through talking to a lot of people that this is a problem that people find with rescues.  I have dealt with one rescue that was much easier to work with, a phone call or e-mail every now and then isn't too invasive at all.  Some of them just get a little carried away.

I have read somewhere that people are 8x more likely to donate to an animal charity than a human charity.  Its kinda sad, I see local animal organizations making thousands of dollars in a one afternoon fundraiser yet there is a therapeutic riding barn less than 20 miles away that may have to close their doors due to lack of funds.  "Help the horses" seems like a more appealing phrase than "help the children".

I know that everyone needs some financial backing and I have no problem with these programs, but it is sad when the local grocery store that gives you chips at checkout to donate to your favorite charity has the "humane society" box overflowing and the local childrens house hardly has enough to cover the bottom.

I love my horses, but every horse that I have has to have a job, either for me directly as my personal horse or giving lessons, or at least on their way in that direction.  If it doesn't, then that horse is sold to someone who could give it a purpose.  I see more and more horses being adored for the "ooh ahh" factor.  I like getting check ups, but what that person wants to do with the horse is up to them.  In my situation, I could dwell on what just went out, or focus my time on helping what is coming in.  I don't mind answering questions that a buyer may have, and I always let them know that.  I do not find it necessary.
  • I don't necessarily seek out the people who I have sold horses to, but more often than not, they're people I know or am acquainted with, and so I generally know what's up with the horses.

Right now I have a "buy back". We sold off 2 of our 3 horses about 6 years ago, and two of them went to a friend of a friend. When I was ready to buy horses again, we went straight to him to see if he wanted to sell one or both of them. He didn't. But about 6 months later, he was ready to sell one of them. So I have an old friend back.

I think of horses as livestock..but my horses are pets. I don't get them if they aren't, and once I buy them that's what they become. My attitude towards them has changed over the  years. I used to be much more committed to having "perfect" horses. Now I see myself as a good place for a few horses to end up with, because I don't work them very hard, I'm kind to them and I take good care of them. At the same time, I can't afford an unsound horse or a horse that is in pain or dangerous, and I won't sell a  horse like that. It gets put down.
  • I know when i sell Twilight I would definetely appreciate updates. Though of course, its all up to you. I also update both ladies I bought Twilight and Quest from because they are friends of mine and appreciate updates. Plus one of thems on the forum ';)'