Quick Post

That darn dog!!

That darn dog!!
  • Skyler is currently in surgery, getting plastic surgery to repair a tear in his beautiful ear.  We were watching the kids play baseball next door, the dogs were sniffing around by the pool and Annie (husky) jumped him for some reason and snagged his ear right where it folds forward, sliced it a good inch in and it looked terrible, plus bled something serious.....  Of course it happened a few minutes to 7 pm so the regular vet is closed and my only alternative was to take him to the emergency vet.....  Apparently ears are very sensitive and they have to completely knock him out to trim the edges and put it back together.  I know it seems kind of trivial to spend so much money on an ear but it looked so ugly and I know it would bother me every time I looked at him.  Hubby is being great and when I came home without Skyler, didn't even ask how much.  I think he feels a little bad 'cause it was his dog that did it...... I have to go back and pick him up around 11.   Now that he's over 1 yr. old, he isn't backing down so easily when Annie tries to dominate him.  I got a male dog this time because they are supposed to get along better, instead of two females.  Annie is such a domineering, bossy thing......  sigh....... maybe a shock collar with a remote so I can get her when she attacks him......... Anyways, keep your fingers crossed that his surgery goes well, poor guy :(
  • Poor Skyler.  Huskys are kinda known for their aggresivness toward other dogs.  I hope the surgery goes good and his poor little ear heals up without much scaring.  Poor guy!  Are they both fixed?  That might hep lower some of the stress if they arn't.  I have used a shock collar before and it works.  You have to catch them just before they jump the other dog or they seem to think the other dog did it.  Watch for the stiffening of the legs and tail.  Her head will "lock on" to him and then she make the grab. 

I hope everything turns out ok.
  • Picked Skyler up around 11:15 last night, yawn..... they said he wins the award for the best behaved Heeler!

His ear looks much better put back together, about 6 stitches.  He's got antibiotics too.  Hubby was good and just asked, "was it over $300?" and I was able to say "No."  He didn't push it!!  It was very close to that but having a ragged ear would've really bothered me.......

He seemed perky and fine last night but got up stiff and cried a little when he started walking.  One of his front legs is a little sore, maybe where they put in an IV.  In about 15 minutes, he spied a rabbit that hadn't cleared the backyard and perked right up and dove into the bushes to emerge with it......  I took it away when he wasn't looking so they won't fight over that.

Skyler and Annie mostly get along fine but he's about one and not backing down so much now, I've noticed he's curling his lip now, even when he's under her and getting up faster.  I try and catch her before they get into it as much as possible and I've done the submission thing with her.  Up til now she's mostly flipped him on his back and made him submit, a couple times she's gotten a tooth in him but nothing serious.  Our previous dog was smaller and always submitted.  I'm going to look into the shock collar and make sure I carry the remote whenever I'm outside.  I'll have to shave the front of her hairy neck!
  • Poor Annie.  Losing her spot in the pack....  He really needs to go ahead and submit to her and let her be the boss.  He could be really smart like that.  Let her think she's the boss.....  Bully does that with Miles, but Bully is the brains.  Oh, wait.  he's a heeler.  Brains and heeler are contradictory terms aren't they? lol
    I was at the horse show and saw a dog.  As I walked by I asked "ACD?" and the lady goes "what?" like I was a wierdo.  "AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG?"  *rolls eyes*  um..... that was a bit off topic huh?
  • Ya, they can be pretty single-minded...... at least his mind is off our heels now and it took one stomp to figure out he shouldn't be running with the horses ':)'

If he was smart, he would submit because Annie is very strong-willed.   She's really good with all of us people.  We did all the right things, dog obedience, dog agility, teaching her I'm the alpha and she gives in really easily, respects all of us, is very polite and loving.  She's also fine with other dogs, just when it comes to food, chewies, etc.  She and Skyler play and play, so cute to watch them.
  • Maybe she just taught him a lesson?
  • Ya, she's really good about picking up on what you want and "disciplining" him, like if he doesn't want to go out and just stands there at the door, she'll reach in, grab him by the scruff of the neck and pull him out or when he used to "heel" me and I'd yelp, she'd tackle him and chase him away ':)'  Other times, I have no clue because I just see the after-attack.  Tail too high...... I don't know but he can be 30 feet away and she takes after him......

Wish she could "teach" him in a cheaper way!!  $260 bucks to get his ear stitched up........ no horse goodies for me this month......
  • Probably doesn't make you feel any better but there's a vet here that quoted us over $300 to neuter a dog.  DANG!  I can get a horse gelded for cheaper!
  • I got a heck of a good deal when I adopted Skyler from the animal shelter.  They were having a $40 out-the-door special that included shots, micro-chipping and neutering.  I don't know how they can do it for that little.

Our vet wanted to do $85 of bloodwork to make sure a stray's kidneys, liver, etc. were OK before neutering him....... I'm sorry but if there is something wrong with the dog's kidneys, that is the end of the road ':(' 

His ear is looking really good and he and Annie have gotten along great for the last couple days...... hopefully that was just a random incident ':)'
  • Hooray for harmony!  *whew!*
  • Skyler's ear is looking good.   He gets his last antibiotic tonight and his stitches out next week.  He's back to his normal goofy self and he and Annie play and play.  He was trying to "play" with Beau, the cat this morning but Beau didn't understand the bouncing leaps and was complaining so I had to call off the dog.  Later, I found a fresh, wiggling lizard tail and knew a cat had brought in a lizard.  Found them staring intently under the couch in the office and managed to rescue the poor tailless thing, still OK.  Anything that eats flies deserves to be saved, in my book!
  • Had dogs all my life and allways seem to be a pecking order especialy when you have more than two or four. Some where along the line they will fight for domination then it seems to calm down. Some times theirs that one that don't get along with any body then you have to make a decision 
  • Skyler's ear is looking good, stitches out, hair growing back, won't even be able to tell.  Had jury duty so my teen had to take him.  She put him in the car, threw her keys on the front seat, closed the doors and ran into the house to get something...... came back out and he'd locked himself in the car!  Luckily we had an extra key . . . .. . .

They've been doing better, he doesn't seem to be trying to stand up to her lately which is good!  She knocked him into the pool the other day!
  • She knocked him into the pool the other day!

TOO funny!!! [':D']