Quick Post

Chicks

Chicks
  • We got these a couple of weeks ago. This is what they looked like when I brought them home. Now they are at that kind of gross half baby down half big feather stage and they look terrible.
  • Awww, so cute!  I know what you mean about gangly, half-feathered teenage chickens though!
  • We let the chicks out to explore the chicken yard for the day. The weather is nice enough. Man do they look rough. Only because they're growing not from illness. They'll come back inside when it cools off. For now they're enjoying scratching in the dirt and sampling new foods. Pretty cute.
  • They've changed the zoning here so that a person in town can have up to 6 chickens (no roosters). I'm thinking I may do that next year. I'll need to build a chicken yard/coop. Probably won't have 6 of them, though...maybe 4.
  • Chicken tractors are very popular here. 
    Pilot is trying to convince me that we need one. [&:]

• What's a chicken tractor?
  • Chicken tractors are cool.  A good idea.
  • Hunt, a chicken tractor is a moveable chicken pen.  They're usually made of chicken wire or hardware cloth.  You load your chickens into it and drag it around the yard and they can enjoy living outside on fresh grass.  They are very popular.
    We are fortunate that we have a  very large yard in the country with virtually no daytime predators so ours will free range during the day and then get locked into a predator proof pen/yard at night.  Once they get to laying age they'll go into a regular coop at night.
  • I used to have a regular chicken house with no floor.  A weasel found that by digging in he could have fresh chicken and squab.  End of my flock in short order.  Been looking for one of those 'lil old travel trailers to make the new coop with.  Making it Coon proof (or at least resistant enough to allow me time enough to catch him) will take a bit of effort, but it's worth it.  I'll just make the flyspace pen on wheels too.  The girls really appreciate a lot of space to play in.
  • Chicks went outside to play today. I got some pictures for you. They look so grown up now!
  • I still can't seem to link pictures from other websites... and I also can't figure out how to upload more than one picture per message.
  • one more