Quick Post

Got Feathers at Your House?

Got Feathers at Your House?
  • We have a modest flock of 3 med/large parrots we share our home and life with.  All talkers - an African Grey named Kota, an Eclectus named Fiona and a Blue and Gold Macaw named Ray.  They are like having very messy, time consuming, moody, sometimes VERY loud, always expensive toddlers forever - we love them dearly but they are not for everyone.  All of our birds speak clearly and with comprehension - some of them fairly non-stop and some of them when they feel it necessary to get attention or something, some of them rarely, but all do.    Supplies rival and almost always exceed the cost of horse supplies - cage and space requirements vary but for our medium and large birds - large - very large, very secure, cages are required along with a lot of play space and play equipment.  

I am a member of a Parrot Rescue in our area and completely advocate adoption as the first resort for bringing a bird into your family and home - rescue/adoption organizations ensure that homeless birds find the right families and more importantly ensure that families looking to add a bird to their home are well educated about feeding, care, training, housing and loving these long living animals. 

Meet Kota, Fiona and Ray (in that order)  We have many videos of our birds on YouTube.  Feel free to visit us there to see a bit about living with parrots.  http://www.youtube.com/user/Redparrotsg

• Beautiful birds!  A blue & gold macaw is my dream bird.  Maybe someday, but like you said - they take a lot of time, money and commitment. 

Right now my time is taken up with two smaller parrots.  I have a little quaker named Yoshi and then just recently I adopted a sun conure we named Tiki.  The two of them together take up so much of my time and they aren't as demanding as the big guys!

Yoshi talks fairly well and can say quite a few phrases.  He is also learning some tricks right now.  He also laughs and gives kisses.  Tiki can say "hello" "mango" (her old name) and tries to say "step up" once in a while.  She is no where near as clear as yoshi.  She also has no attention span for tricks, but loves to clown around and hang upside down on my finger.  She also laughs and throws kisses. 

Its so great that you help out at rescue!
  • I'm educated enough to know I can't have a bird with my zoo!  I saw the title of this thread and I knew it was you!  I love your birds! Very talented!!
  • They are so beautiful and smart.  The only feathered friends I've ever had were chickens, ducks and turkeys who make good pets too but aren't nearly as smart..... affectionate though ':)'

We have neighbors who have macaws, I believe and they have large, outdoor aviaries for them to go out in when the weather is nice.  I can see the red, heat lamps glowing sometimes and you can hear them.  Took our horses a while to get used to that!

Thanks for sharing.
  • Aw they r pretty! I had a parakeet with one leg once....and some chickens.