Quick Post

Rescues Rock

Rescues Rock
  • Here are some pampered poodles that are all rescues.  Their mom got an antique baby carriage off off ebay, glued poodle silhouettes and stenciled stars on it.  One poodle is older and gets an occasional "touch up" to cover the gray. [:D]

I thought we could post pictures and tell about our rescues...
  • So glad to see the successful rescues. Just makes you sick to look on Craigs list and pound sites. People getting rid of dogs any and all ages, for the dumbest reasons. Too much hair,too much time, etc,etc. God bless the ones who save them.
  • A nearby county has a kill shelter.  They don't adopt out HOWEVER they will call rescue people if they have an influx of nice dogs.  This little boy is Major.  He was dropped off there by his family after living his whole life with them - 6 yrs.  He was labeled a fear biter.  He had bitten the young boy in the family.  The story I heard was the boy would lock him in his crate and shake the crate roughly.  I agreed to foster him.  I can only imagine what they put this dog through.  It took forever for him to trust us with his ears.  He's been with us for a couple of years now.  I could never send him to another home knowing he really could bite someone - more than likely a small child who grabbed him unexpectedly.  He doesn't WANT to bite but he sort of loses control when pushed. 
    My DIL was playing with him (he loves her) and she treated him like any other dog and grabbed him up in her arms.  He bit her hand and she cried because she forgot about how he is.  It wasn't really a set-back.  He knows he's prone and really pleads with you not to push him.  Of course, I push him [':)'].  But only in very small increments to show him it's okay. 
    IE: When he hides under the bed you cannot MAKE him come out.  Do not try.  It's just asking to be bit.  But he's under there because he feels safe there and there's a situation that's making him afraid.  So I get down on the floor and talk to him and reach in and pet him.  Then I go away and he comes out. 
    He really likes to be bathed. 
    This morning I trimmed toenails.  Everyone got theirs done and got treats.  Then it's Major's turn.  I got his muzzle on.  I got his back feet done but I'll wait to have help with the front.  It's VERY traumatic for both of us.  As soon as the muzzle was off he was all excited because he knew he was getting a treat.  Of course he did. 
    He really can't help what's been done to him.  He's safe with me but it would take an extraordinary person to ever adopt him.  Besides, Boywonder has bonded so strongly with him.  If I ever adopted Major out, they'd need an extra bedroom for boy to visit.  [':D']
  • We all have our "quirks" or line. When someone crosses it, things can happen. Same for dogs,horses,etc. Sounds like Major has the home he needs and BW for a best friend. Lucky Dog!![':D']
  • Since being here, I have raised 3 young kittens, and all have been adopted. (the young ones always go quick)  Last week I caught 2 by hand that are about 4 months old.  They are friendly and we are trying to get them adopted together.  The next day I caught 2 more (from same litter) in a live trap.  They are not so friendly, and will become Gov't Owned Animals.  And lastly, we have an adult that got his but whhhhoooooooped, and we are going to try to get him adopted out, rather than re-releasing him, he is supper friendly, and has a one of a kind meow. 
    I don't have any pictures on this computer, but will try to post some from home once finals are over. 
    I have to say this is one of the things I like about my job, someone stresses me out, and I go seek some kitty therapy, and I get paid to do it...... cant ask for much more!!!
  • What a great thing especially so far from your own animals.

A better one of the character known as Major. [':D']
  • Skyler with his dog-

Anastasia "Annie"

Sally-before and after de-ticking and foxtailing, a trim and a bath-now has a great new home

Cody and Spirit are rescues!

River before the vet and then after.  Need a current picture of her!!  Need to harass my aunt ':)'

Smokey-one of my pound kitties

Lacey-RIP 6/08, 13 good years with after finding her at my school

Rusty and Bear when they first showed up.  Rusty is now in Chino, Bear is in Florida

I think that's all I have pictures of but there was Roxy-German Shephard mix, too starved to make it (RIP), Jamie-German Shepard mix, starved and parvo (RIP), Amber, mastiff mix, and many, many other dogs and kitties!

• [':D']Recently I have been donating to rescues.  I find my self online looking at things I just dont need, so I take the money I would have spent on what ever, and send it to an animal shelter or rescue.  A couple weeks ago it was an animal shelter I used to volunteer at, and today was to Grace.  Kinda a retail therapy with out the junk [':D']
  • Donate if to Dana's Rescue [':D']
  • Great idea, showqueen! 

I was going to post more of my rescues but can't find the energy.  One of these days...
  • hey i love youre rescues they are so cute
  • To further delay getting back to work, I'll tell you about another of my rag-tag canines.
    Okay, pick one.... [':)']
    My old Sugar dog.  (Carmy's Grandma dog) She's got snow-dog in her.  Probably would have done well in the Iditarod the way she'd run all day.  Found her at my place of employment about 14 or so years ago.  (she's ancient) She was close to 1yr old when she showed up and shared my hot wings.  I thought she adopted me when she lay down under the steps "to wait for me to get off work".  Well the sun shifted, she moved to the shade of my boss' truck.  Time to get off work came along and on she snoozed.  My boss called me and asked me to move her.  I prodded with my toe, I hollered at her but nothing.  I guess she wasn't hanging out waiting for me.  I think she was hibernating.  I picked her up under her arms, with her body hanging down, I carried her to the car, put her in and she promptly fell back asleep. [:-]
    I've never had a dog you can't just let outside and they'd come when you call (eventually) and hang out around the house.  But not Sugar.  Even years later she'd run off.  We were in Memphis so she stayed tied out a lot but always came inside when she wanted, sleeping inside at night.  Sometimes, just to play a trick, when it stormed (she hated lightning) I'd call her with the door open.  She thought she was escaping and she'd hit the porch running, the lightning and thunder  hit, she'd do a U-turn back into the house. 
    The few times a year we actually had snow, I'd let her out to run because no cars were on the street - none she couldn't outrun.
    She hated possums SOOOOO BAD!!  Kittens would come running from their porches when we went for walks, they loved her so much.  She was the keeper of the cats.  But let a possum in her site and she'd do her best to break the land speed record for possum kiling.  
    When we finally moved "to the country" I never put her on a leash again.  At first she didn't know how to act but she's had a good normal dog life since.  She's in her last days now but she's had a good long life.  She never really seemed to care too much about people, me included, so I never loved her like I do the dogs who worship me. But I do love the old girl and she's starting to be happy to see me.  I'm the only one who can speak sign language to her - she's stone deaf.   Good dog, Sugar, ya snow-dog Grandma-dog.
  • Time for a rescue story....
    Maggie Dane Lady.  Same kill shelter as Major.  Rescue put out an email about a Dane.  If it weren't for DaneHaven I might have had more reservations but I'd fallen for her dogs and realized how special they are.  Maggie was a "broodmare" at a puppy mill.  She was picked up as a stray (escaped).  Her owner found her at the pound and didn't want to pay the $40 to get her out. [:@] She was h/w positive and had scars on her neck from an embedded cable or whatever they tied her out with.  (can you imagine being tied up, trying to take care of a litter of Great Dane puppies?)  Her first time eating with the pack, my 9-pounder stuck her head in Maggie's bowl.  Maggie calmly picked the "youngster" up and placed her on the floor.  I thought she was eating my puppy-girl!!!!  But no.  Carmy hit the ground and hopped back into Maggie's dinner. [8|]  I knew Maggie was a good girl then.  She's a great addition to our pack.