Quick Post

Skyler's being a pain in the "heel!"

Skyler's being a pain in the "heel!"
  • Okay, so Skyler is part heeler and since he was little has felt the need to "heel" anything that moves including cats, us and the horses but he's really getting bold now, actually nipping their heels and instead of helping, causing some chaos in the herd!  Grrrr........ I've started leaving him on the other side of the fence when I go in with the horses.  I used to be able to call him off but today for the first time, he started to come, changed his mind and veered off after the horses again...... Visions of a shock collar with a remote flashed through my head [;)]

What's the best way to teach a dog that actually has herding instincts when it's OK to heel and when it's not? Thanks!
  • [quote=danastark]

Visions of a shock collar with a remote flashed through my head [';)']

I have these same visions everytime Jade goes jetting towards the street...

I can't really help you on the rest.  I do know they suggest teaching dogs to "speak" before you teach them to "hush", "come" before "stay", maybe that philosophy would work?  Does he have a command for "heel"?
  • Take his collar off and get ahold of a training collar, or just a chain collar.  Attatch a long lead or light rope to it, something that he really can't feel.  As he takes off give him the hold command or down command.  Let him keep going if he doesn't stop, count to 3 and pick up on the rope.  Give a short but assirtive jerk and say the hold command at the same time.  When he yeilds call him back and have him stay at your side to get praised.

The key to herding dogs is to teach them how to use what comes naturally.  Its kind of like turning a cow bred horse out in a cattle pasture.  They don't know how to move the cow properly but instinct tells them to chase it.  Same consept. 

Spend some time teaching him the hold comand, down, left and right, and back.  It will come in handy!
  • Funny, the new ponies know what he means when he starts nipping while they're out.  They do go back in their pasture but then he continues to nip after they're in there!

I do have a 30 foot nylon lead.  Next time I turn the horses/ponies out, I'll put the training collar and that on him and give it a whirl.  I don't know the commands so thanks for that.  He's a pretty smart dog (well, compared to our husky who is only as obedient as the leash is long!), know all the basics, plus "wait, jump, speak, rollover, to the house."  For a mix, his herding drive is really strong!