Quick Post

Horse Not Trimmed In Over 2 yrs!

Horse Not Trimmed In Over 2 yrs!
  • Ok...so if any of you have seen what I posted on the new mare I got, the lady could not afford to take care of her...that leads to the current problem. The lady claims that she had not had her timmed by a professional in 2 yrs, but I would guess it was a lot longer than that. I think that as she chipped, the lady would just file them down..so here is the issue....
    Right now she is in a small pasture with another mare..not a big deal..other than instead of eating the 10 acres of grass, we have to feed her hay right now because there is no grass in the pasture! Why are we keeping her in there...let me tell ya[>:]
    Her front feet are a mess. She has chipped so bad over the yrs of neglect that now the new surface where she is, is much harder and they have started chipping. I don't have any pics of them..I will try and get some to post, but here is the question.....
    It is rocky ground out in the large pasture..do I go ahead and put her out there and risk her getting tore up more?? Or do I keep her in the small pen and keep feeding hay????
    On one hand I figure they can't get a whole lot worse than they already are, she has a vertical crack in one of them...but on the other hand, I don't want to do more damage.
    I tried getting a hold of the farrier that usally comes to the farm, but he is out of state until the 3rd week in July..I have called a couple others with no return call.. There are not many around here..believe me, I have looked!!
    She does not seem to be in any pain..but she does need some work for sure!
    I am open to suggestions!!
  • [':)'] OK...Good news.....I found a farrier!! Called him this morning and he will be here tomorrow morning!!
    He is a new guy, just got done with his schooling and has been working with another farrier from the area and is now trying to get his own clients.
    Not sure what makes me worry more...the horse or kids.[':o']
  • I first read this thread at work and couldn't reply.  I'm so glad you found someone.  He sounds like he may be a good one!  You might emphasize that one of the most frustrating things about a trimmer/farrier is them not showing up!!

Let us know how your beauty did!!!
  • The guy showed up...and even on time![':)']
    She is not the best about giving up her feet, something we will have to work on , but all in all, she done pretty well. She was more interested in other things going on around her than the guy who was trimming her.
    She has chipped so badly that her front feet are a bit upright, but with any luck (and a few trims) she will be OK. I guess maybe I over reacted, I have never been one to let a horses feet go, he said they were really not too bad.[8|]
  • Funny you say "a bit upright".  I've gotten used to the fact that they really should be upright, I was just used to seeing them at an incorrect angle.  If the old forum archives were available you could pull up at least two threads I had in the hoof section.  I think the farriers got tired of me and finally walked away.  Maybe you could do a thread in the hoof section and see if you can attract any farriers. [':)']