Quick Post

HOOF ABSCESS_ HELP!

HOOF ABSCESS_ HELP!
  • My sweet 4 year old mare has been having constant, recurring hoof abscess.  Same hoof, same spot...anybody have any advice or experience to share?  She is on a hoof supplement, had her in special shoes with pads and now have her wearing hoof sock.  My vet said he had a show horse that had the same problem for a year1 and that "it happens"  She's been having problems since April, none of the rest of my herd have any problems, all barefoot and sound, trimmed every 8 weeks.  My farrier thinks maybe time for an Xray as there could be something in there that can't work itself out?  But she has been sound on it from time to time ?  Please help- thanks!
  • If you trust your farrier then why not xray just in case.   I was going to give you my Bowen therapist's recipe for a concoction you plaster on the hoof and wrap it up.  But it sounds like there's something more than A abscess.  Does it blow out through the hoof wall, or where?  Does she over-reach and kick herself?
  • My gelding had an abcess for about 3 mos, burst at the heel 3 times..... had the vet out, couldn't find a puncture or particularly sore spot, put him on antibiotics, soaked his foot daily, etc, farrier out, nothing....... after the 3rd eruption, I mentioned doing X-rays just in case there was something in there to my vet, but he reminded me we hadn't found a hole anywhere so I agreed not too.  About 3 days later I was staring at the sole of his foot in frustration when I saw a glint of something deep in his frog crevice, started picking around and was able to pull out an inch and a half long nail!  Poor horse had been going around with that thing stabbing him but we hadn't found a hole because it had entered his foot through the crevice in his frog...... My vet felt really bad and said he learned a lesson......

My advice, get an X-ray just to be safe!
  • Hi, yes it has blown out, and seems to resolve itself then returns within a few weeks-month.  She has been sound on it off and on ??   Yes, I think I need to go ahead with an Xray.  Just wondered if anyone else had this recurring problem.  My Vet made it sound like it happens, and he didn't suggest an Xray- my farrier did as he has not seen this happen before?  We had the shoes and pads on her all summer, but didn't totally resolve it and I hate having shoes on her- seems counter productive to put more holes in her hoof!  Now I don't even think you could get a shoe on her- nothing to nail to after the farrier dug out the abscess.  It drained a bunch and I have been cleaning it out with hydrogen peroxide and wrapping it every day with pine tar.  She seems "sound" for now but I'm expecting it to return again.  :-(