Quick Post

im worried

im worried
  • [quote=PeggySue]

If he were mine I would add alittle alfalfa pellets they have been shown to soothe(sp) ulcers and get rid of the oats... and ensure that he has free choice hay

Thank you! The reason I put him on oats is the veterinarian said that oats were the easiest to digest for a horse. I did notice in his poop he had a few pieces of oats that were still whole? Kind of worried me. On top of the fact I need to find a new place to board. Someone threw an egg at my moms horse hit the poor thing in the forehead, and then threw one at my horse but missed, and now im worried he ate the egg shell and those are sharp....sometimes its so stressful owning a horse down there. They are like my kids!
  • [quote=jesse1995]

[quote=PeggySue]

If he were mine I would add alittle alfalfa pellets they have been shown to soothe(sp) ulcers and get rid of the oats... and ensure that he has free choice hay

Thank you! The reason I put him on oats is the veterinarian said that oats were the easiest to digest for a horse. I did notice in his poop he had a few pieces of oats that were still whole? Kind of worried me. On top of the fact I need to find a new place to board. Someone threw an egg at my moms horse hit the poor thing in the forehead, and then threw one at my horse but missed, and now im worried he ate the egg shell and those are sharp....sometimes its so stressful owning a horse down there. They are like my kids!

Oats are the easiest of the grains to digest but with the advances in feeds there is no reason to feed them to any horse that is not in HARD HARD work think racing or endurance and even then they should be limited
  • PeggySue, I have a friend who feeds this Sr.Feed.  Could you take a look and see what you think?  My feed, as you know, is pretty expensive.  I'm not happy with the ginormous pellets either, even if they are advertised as "soft" it's the same size Bully choked on and nearly died costing a bit of money in the process.  I'm too paranoid not to soak.  See if this works....
    ';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds' target='_blank' title='http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.php?catmain=&mainkey=&amp';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds'';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds'>http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.php?catmain=&mainkey=&amp';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds

• [quote=hunterseat]

PeggySue, I have a friend who feeds this Sr.Feed.  Could you take a look and see what you think?  My feed, as you know, is pretty expensive.  I'm not happy with the ginormous pellets either, even if they are advertised as "soft" it's the same size Bully choked on and nearly died costing a bit of money in the process.  I'm too paranoid not to soak.  See if this works....
    ';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds' target='_blank' title='http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.php?catmain=&mainkey=&amp';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds'';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds'>http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.php?catmain=&mainkey=&amp';p'id=100799&key=300144&cat=Platform+Feeds

I need analysis and ingredient list, IF I remember right it is a grain based feed...I might be wrong though
  • You're right - big shocker there. [';)']  Distiller grain?
    And I'm looking at the Nutrena Senior and there's no ingredient list.  What the heck?   Oh well.  Thanks again as always!
  • [quote=hunterseat]

You're right - big shocker there. [';)']  Distiller grain?
    And I'm looking at the Nutrena Senior and there's no ingredient list.  What the heck?   Oh well.  Thanks again as always!

Nutrena does not have a fixed formula on anything that I know of it is gonna say grain by products, grain products, forage product, you get the idea

Distillers Grain is not a bad thing at all it is low NSC, packed with vitamins and minerals and PROTIEN(good amino acids), it is a by product of the distillers making whiskey and such
  • Any feed changes should be accomplished over approximately 10 days so that the horses stomach enzymes can adjust to the new food.  The first day should be a ratio of 1:10, second day 2:10, etc...  If you start having problems back up or stay where you are. 

Apples help produce saliva, which also helps to balance their pH.  So an apple a day....