Quick Post

Why did my fly spray stop working?

Why did my fly spray stop working?
  • I started using Bronco fly spray with citronella on my horse a month or so ago.  It was working great, but lately I can apply it twice a day and she's still got some bothering her.  Most of the critters I've seen around her are the ones that the spray is supposed to repel.  It doesn't seem to matter if I brush her off first or not.  I especially notice them on her legs.  What's the deal?
  • I pesonally am not impressed with Bronco and have been using it for a couple of years. I am now switching to something else.

In my experience, you can spray a fly directly with Bronco and it doesn't budge.
  • [quote=face]

I pesonally am not impressed with Bronco and have been using it for a couple of years. I am now switching to something else.

In my experience, you can spray a fly directly with Bronco and it doesn't budge.

Agreed..bronco had never worked for us.  Like most things insects can build up immunities against pesticides bc its always being used.  Try some new flyspray.  I never had any lucky with bronco..
  • We are trying REPEL-XP which is a concentrate that you mix yourself.  We are using the recommended mixture and it does work much better than Bronco. Plus, in the end it is cheaper than Bronco.
  • I like to switch between Endure and oh its the green bottle.......arg someone help me on this my mind is mush today.  Anyway I am like you guys I have never had luck with Bronco.  By using two different kinds it seems to help much better.  I have been trying those fly prediters(sp?) and when it was so wet out I didn't notice any difference at all but now that it has dryed up a bit I have noticed a big drop in the fly population.  For 1 -5 horses it costs as much a month as a bottle of fly spray.  Going to give it another month just to see if it is really working now as it takes a couple of months to see a difference or so they say.
  • In Southern CA, the ones that worked the best last year were Ultrashield and Tri-tech, both about $25 a bottle.  The flies seemed immune to anything else.  I fed garlic like crazy, didn't do anything, I did a whole year of fly predators (your neighbors have to get in on it or their flies just fill your void I think!).  It seems to change every year or so, like the flies get immune to the active ingred. in them.  Tried all the herbal/organic stuff, nada!  One thing that did work pretty well in a pinch one time was spray on sunscreen!  Kinda messy though, attracts dust but no flies!  Goodluck.
  • I, too, am not impressed by Bronco.    We use Tri-Tech.  It is about $25 for a quart, so I buy it by the gallon which runs about $66 at the local tack store. Never buy anything in small quantities when you have a horse, bulk is where it's at!  It will last the whole summer and it works great.  It is also one of the only ones that doesn't raise huge welts on Al's body when used. 
  • I use Larrys Horse Spray and I just love it.. its a concentrate and works really well.  If flies are especially bad I mix some skin so soft or listerine into the mix and it seems to work wonderfully
  • I use Tri-tech, too. You can use 4 times as much Bronco in a month, at $8 a pop, or you can spend $25 on Tri-tech, and only buy one (or less) a month for 2 horses.

It's easier, less trips to the feed store, less spraying, fewer containers to keep track of. And it works better. You don't have to spray every day.

I don't spray it on right before tacking up...if I know I'm going on a ride I spray a couple of days ahead of time. I've never had anything happen but it just seems like something that strong probably shouldn't be put on fresh under a saddle and cinch.
  • its going to be trial and error.  My farrier was just up and he uses a yellow bottle and one is areosol..Its by manna pro i believe and he said it works great!..  I usually make my own or I use the the green bottle by absorbine.
  • [quote=IGotYouBabe]

its going to be trial and error.  My farrier was just up and he uses a yellow bottle and one is areosol..Its by manna pro i believe and he said it works great!..  I usually make my own or I use the the green bottle by absorbine.

That would be pyrana fly spray in the yellow bottle by mana pro ':)' I LOVE IT! it works wonders! I HATE bronco! its like mixing milk and sugar in a bottle. In my opinion it makes the flies worse, i have sprayed it ON TO THE FLY and it did nothing. I have heard of using skin so soft but it makes all the dust cling to the horse. But like IGotYouBabe said its trial and error.
  • trainer101 its called WIPE
  • I liked the Bronco spray at first.  As one poster stated it worked early in the season.  Now I've got some big gnarly flies (too small for horse flies, way too big for house flies) that chew her up.  I placed an order last night and bought...darn if I can't remember what it was now.  Something EX in a black bottle that had good reviews.  I just bought the small sprayer though. 

A buddy of mine has  mix that he uses that has listerine, pinesol, and dishsoap in it.  (Sounds awful, but he's used it for years w/ no problems), but I need something that cuts the ticks too.  Such is life near the woods I guess.  Thanks for all your help!  Masi appreciates it too. ':)'
  • Im not too big on spraying pinesol on my horse.  I know of people who use kerosene too which i would never do.   I make my own with a mixture of skin so soft and essential oils.   
  • [quote=DixieClassic003]

[quote=IGotYouBabe]

its going to be trial and error.  My farrier was just up and he uses a yellow bottle and one is areosol..Its by manna pro i believe and he said it works great!..  I usually make my own or I use the the green bottle by absorbine.

That would be pyrana fly spray in the yellow bottle by mana pro ':)' I LOVE IT! it works wonders! I HATE bronco! its like mixing milk and sugar in a bottle. In my opinion it makes the flies worse, i have sprayed it ON TO THE FLY and it did nothing. I have heard of using skin so soft but it makes all the dust cling to the horse. But like IGotYouBabe said its trial and error.

the yellow bottle he uses is by Manna Pro or something..its not pyranna