Quick Post

Scratches/CPL??

Scratches/CPL??
  • I went to see a horse I've been working with for over a year today. The owners of the property she is boarded on (she was recently moved, I have yet to meet the owners) just got two horses of their own I believe within the past week. One is in good condition, but the other is a young (7ish I believe if my judgement is any good) Clydesdale mare in not-so-great condition. She's thin, needs her feet trimmed desperately, and stomps her back feet constantly in obvious discomfort. When the other two mares ran she followed half-heartedly at a mopey walk. While I was looking at her, I noticed some blood on her pastern in her feathers, and found several sores. I'm not super familiar with scratches but it looks bad, could it be CPL (chronic progressive lymphedema)? I hope to see her being cared for in the next few weeks, obviously these issues started before she arrived just a week or so ago, but have reason to believe the owner(s) of the property are incapable of properly caring for a horse...? Any suggestions would be great. 

I can't get a picture to upload. I will try as a reply when I get home... 

• CPL would present itself as a gradual, total swelling of the leg(s).

Think of elephantitis in humans.