Quick Post

A Chief question

A Chief question
  • My question is kinda hard to put into words, but I'll try: my vet told me the day she came out to float Chief's teeth, that I needed to increase his salt intake to twice a day because she said his stools are too hard. Now Chief is doing good, eating his hay ( we feed first and second cutting hay alternately), eating all his breakfast which has the salt in it and he is drinking all his water. However, he still has hard stools. I was wondering, is there anything like a stool softner for horses? I thought about an oil, not mineral oil, maybe added to his food, but that with the salt, sounds gross to me, I wouldn't want to eat it  [:'(]  Has anyone ever had a horse with this type of trouble? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

• Hi Lupacexi! So you just started adding salt?  Are you noticing an increase in water intake? I know several who add salt to increase water drinking.

• Seems to me the vet is trying to increase his water intake which will soften his stools.

Let me check with Jmebear, she might know.  Will get back with you tomorrow.

In the meantime, have you tried feeding soaked beetpulp?  You might try a little.  We use the pellets and very hot water first thing in the morning.  It soaks all day and then we feed this at night.  A half cup of dry pellets will be more than sufficient with a pint of water.   This might help getting more water into his digestive tract.  We love the stuff.

• My Jet had a colic impaction several years ago. Vets told me put a salt/mineral block in the stalls and add a Tablespoon of salt to each feeding. The beet pulp is a good idea Stude. I forget about beet pulp because I don't feed it. You could just add water to his feed also.What about soaking his hay?