Quick Post

Horse colic Friday night, good Saturday, then Sunday downhill again.....

Horse colic Friday night, good Saturday, then Sunday downhill again.....
  • My 9 year old palomino mare coliced Friday night. Heart rate over 100, pawing stretching her legs out, tried to lay down. Vet came, ultrasound was good, blood work was good, rectal exam she was empty (so concerning with that and heart rate) gave banamine, sedated put the tube down she had no reflux so put her in the stall for the night because after the banamine she wanted to graze (fatty). Saturday at 3 AM she neighed when I walked in the barn, head up ear forward moving around acting fine. Heart rate still seemed high. 7 AM still good vet had me give her two pats of hay soaked in warm water. She ate almost all of it. Vet said Saturday night let her out move around. Put her with her buddy for the night, next morning she's lethargic, head down but still wanting to graze but still a high heart rate. Could this just be colic reoccurring??? She doesn't seem to be in any pain, wants to eat (although rather slowly) but keeping her head down and heart rate in the 90s. Vet had me put her back up now and a half dose of banamine and she will be out later, I'm just confused? She's never coliced before I"ve had her her entire life. Did I do something wrong?

• I don't think you did anything wrong. You're doing what you've always done and you've never had a colic. How's the poop looking? That's the telling sign, isn't it? I hope your mare is back to normal soon!

• Poop was small hard turds and a day or two after the mineral oil it got softer, mushier which vet said was a good sign, it just seems like she wants to eat and she's pooping but she will have these episodes of head down sometimes pawing like she's not comfortable. This morning she was perky and wanting to graze, this evening just a little grazing and pawing occasionally.

• Sometimes it's so hard to get them to drink enough water. I have a friend who adds salt to their feed to encourage more water intake. Also taking them for a ride seems to move them. :) Hopefully she's in the clear.

• (I did mean a ride in a horse trailer)

Hey Jessica, if you click on the Horse.com orange logo at the top it will take you to a page that shows the most recent threads/posts. We are a small bunch, oddly enough. But we usually get on here daily and say hello. Please jump over there and say hi on the daily threads whenever you get a chance.

AND how's the mare doing? Hopefully well.