Quick Post

This is awful!

This is awful!
  •  Vet will be out next week, hopefully tomorrow.  In the mean time I thought I would post these pictures of Candy to see if anyone knows what this is.  We have been treating her for rain rot for the last couple of weeks, ie...clean scabs off, clean will betadine, and a round of anitbiotics.  Over the week end it all got real bad again and all sores have returned.  I am just sick about this, she is such a sweet horse I hate to see her like this and nothing we have done as far as work!

• Could it be sunburn?  Our paint with a bald face gets fried in the summer, blisters and peels something awful unless we keep sunscreen on him.  He has bay hair around his ears (not much hair anywhere really) but had bald spots where his ears attach to his head by his forelock.  I started putting sunscreen there and he's growing back his hair.  Just a thought.......
  • Looks like sunburn to me. We have three horses with a good bit of white on them... (one with a bald face, one with a blaze, and a paint). All three of them sunburn bad, and it looks a lot like that on the paint. On the other two, though, it crusts up and turns into tumor-like burns... You can put human sunblock on them and try to keep the horse in a shaded area during the sunniest parts of the day... otherwise, I don't know what to do.
  • I do have to keep sunscreen on her to keep her from sunburning.  However, this began at the top of her forhead that is covered by her mane and has good hair, so I didn't think about sunburn there...but, I haven't put screen there either...  We have had a lot of rain this year and very little hot sunny days, so I also didn't think about sunburn because of that either.  But now with the two of you thinking that...I guess it is possible.  I keep sunscreen under her eyes and father down the front of her face where she has little hair.  I am waiting to hear back for the vet to see what she says..l

Thanks guys!!!
  • Oh... well, keep us updated! I'm interested in knowing what that is, if it isn't sunburn...
  • Does not look like rain rot to me. 
    Looks like sunburn or some type of allergy.
  • I have never had cases of rain rot, but due to the large amount of rain...that is what I would suspect.  But, since you have consulted the vet, I would definitely defer to their expertise!  lol  Hope you find an easy solution to help your horse heal.
  • Update: 

The vet was out yesterday.  It is a combination of both rain rot and sunburn.  One made the other worse.   She loses hair with rain rot and then got sunburned.  Poor girl. 

But the good news, she is SO much better now, even before the vet got here yesterday her face was almost all clear.  After you guys posted about sunburn, on Monday and Tuesday I had covered her face and back with aloe and after that had soaked in some I covered it with zinc oxide.  Her face is almost completely cleared and so is her back is getting there too.  Thanks guys for your help!!!!
  • Get a bottle of Penicillian(sp) and run a ten days course of it a friend of mine fought this for THREEYEARS on her black and white paint and the penicillian cleared it up and it has NOT came back!!! Poor Max was covered in it too..
  • We gave her 5 days of Tucoprim (200 gram antibiotic) that we started 2 weeks ago.  That is what had me confused because she seemed to get worse after that.  But I guess what happened was, the antibiotic stopped the rain rot and then we were dealing with sunburn....  White horses are a lot of up keep!  But Candy is such a good horse she is more than worth it!  So glad she is doing better. 
  • [quote=PeggySue]

Poor Max was covered in it too..

My horse's full name is Miss Candy Max lol  Maybe it is a Max thing....

•  
    Max was COVERED in these just like your mare he had it all over his head under his forelock.. and he had a fly mask with nose cover on daylight to dark daily.

The Penicillian is the only thing that cleared his up and it honestly did get worse before better, I had to call his owner and ask that question I didn't remember ..
  • My gelding was  like this along time go well not the rain rott but he was the only horse that i have every owned that had to go out with a flysheet and full head fly mask he would get sunburned on his neck he  was coverd head to tail with some form a flysheet protection.......just a thought so she doesn't get sun burned.....my mare is a buckskin and she even gets sunburned on her nose i keep a full head fly mask on that covers her whole face and a flysheet on her

Good  luck beautiful Pant