Quick Post

Lettuce????

Lettuce????
  • Hi guys! been a while since ive posted...  i was just wondering if you can feed horses lettuce?  just as a treat of course...  ive heard people say no and then theres people that say yes so i was wondering what you all thought?
  • I give my horses the lettuce that goes to bloom in my garden and they love it!
  • A bit of lettuce washed, ofcourse to make a basic salad, which makes for a great daily addition to his nutrition. Add an apple to keep the vet away, 2 carrots to give him his daily supply of Vit. A naturally (a good fight against rain rot) and there's lots of other things that you can add as well, introducing them separately first to see if he likes them. Some horses eat pumpkins, mine don't, mine will eat cucumbers like crazy, grass pulled from the other side of the fence, or go for a walk....horses love new ground. Also find out the list of foods that are not good and avoid them, like potatoes. Nuts are good, but just a small handful/day. If he is on a hay only diet, then Vitamin E is crucial. (2IU/lb of body weight/day) You can get Vit E 400IU people gel caps from Walmart and just add them up. If you've ever observed him eating leaves from a tree, go to that tree and pick some and throw that in too. Trace minerals are also important and throw in a tbn. of salt to drive thirst as well. Avoid molasses, sugar and starchy things, though, I won't diss peppermints as I've seen two of them get a horse with ulcers go back to the manger and start eating when he refused just a minute before. Hope this helps and this route sure beats most store bought treats hands down.