Quick Post

Foal with crooked ankles ?

Foal with crooked ankles ?
  • Hello, I am very new to this forum, so I'm just going to say everything I can, and hopefully I can get some kind of input! Anything would be helpful :)
    So, my mare foaled a colt June 14, 2013. He is perfectly healthy on the inside and out, but had a contracted tendon on his front right leg, restricting him to walk on it. Vet said it was due to the fact he had very limited space inside my mare (he was a big colt, with very long legs), so he apparently he laid on it wrong for however long, basically putting it "to sleep" for that time. So when he was born, it took him longer than normal to stand up. Then after we got him to stand, we noticed he wasn't walking on that leg, and his hoof wouldn't touch the ground right.. Instead, he was dragging it along and basically tip toeing. Vet said to splint it, so we did for about 2 days. Then once we took it off, he was still the same as before. We were forced to take it off, because he started developing a pressure sore from it. So once we took it off, he continued to develop the sore, and it got pretty bad, and the vet said all we can do is keep it clean and keep ointment on it and flies out of it. Which was fine and no problem. Time went on, the sore healed, but left a pretty nasty bump of scar tissue surrounding his ankle from where it healed. Vet said he MAY grow into the size, or he may not, and that ankle will be double the size it needs to be for the rest of his life. So all we can do at this point is leave it be. 
    Now, right when we thought he was in the clear of anymore leg problems, his back ankles decided to start curving out. Basically, his ankles are "bow legged".. I'm not really sure how else to put it. But now we are faced with this. We haven't been able to get him to the vet again for an xray, since we figured it might fix itself, and plus we don't have the money at the moment. But we can't figure out if it's going to be a permanent thing, or if he will grow out of it... 
    We have avoided getting TOO attached to him, since he's had so many close calls (that I didn't mention). A couple times, the vet asked if we wanted to put him down. But alas, we have hope for this baby boy. He's pulled through most of everything he's had. But this ankle problem, we think he may not overcome. 
    Does anyone know anything about this? Or have anything to suggest?
    -Is it a factor that will make him go lame when he's grown?
    -Should we think about putting him down?
    -Any other input?
    I know the most logical thing is to go have him X-Rayed, but money isn't easy to come by these days! Especially with this horse/feed economy. But I thought maybe someone else has gone through this/something similar and has some input on it. 
    Thank you for any thoughts and responses! 
    Also, I tried to post pictures, but after 30 minutes of trying to and continuously getting "Upload Failed", I gave up. To see any pictures, message me!
  • You will probably think I'm mean, but if you can't afford x-rays, how will you afford treatment? My thought (and it's only my opinion) is that he is 6 months old and hasn't *grown out of* the deformity. It's not likely he will. If the deformity remains, he will end up getting worse as he gets older likely ending up in pain.

Do an internet search for "foal leg deformities" and/or "foal limb deformities". You should be able to find the same or a very similar problem to what your foal has. Then you should be able to read the treatments and prognoses for them to give yourself a better idea whether you are able to give him a quality life.

Good luck. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
  • It's not that we have never had the money to have horses... We have 8. All are very healthy, well fed, trimmed/shoed monthly, and some sent to professional trainers. My step dad is a farmer, and just recently harvested, and had a bad harvest year.. We wouldn't have bred if we would've known. 
    I don't think you're rude. I understand what you are saying.. But there are reasons for why we can't get it done right now. And plus, he is my colt..I didn't want them to have to pay for all the vet bills and treatment, like they already have been. Right now, they are worried about feeding the family, rather than getting the colt an xray. He's a very happy colt, and the only issue he has now, is his back ankles. And he is not in any kind of pain whatsoever. And yes, I have already Googled leg deformities. There is nothing there with his condition... He isn't deformed either according to some research, since he wasn't BORN with crooked back ankles.  It's just how is ankles are growing and is a condition. The vet looked at him once while tending to another one of our horses, and just told us to wait it out. I just wasn't able to take him into the vet for xrays.
    I was just seeing if there was anyone out there that has ever seen this before. 3 months of research hasn't gotten me anywhere, and neither has the vet. So I look for personal experiences now.

• My former neighbors have a horse farm. They have about 30 head and probably have 2 to 4 foals born/yr. They've seen it all and I wish you could talk to her. If you're brave enough to pick up the phone and ask a tough Mississippi no-nonsense farm woman, pm me and I'll put you in touch. 
  • I would get close to a good farrier, who can get the hoof balanced. He can set the balance of the hoof to slowly coax the tendon to let down and stretch out, get P3 balanced in the hoof again and moving properly. It probably won't be as expensive as with the vet, but you'll get a good second opinion and help directly for the hoof. 

If he was younger and funds available, the vet may have sent him to clinic to get casted and intervenous antibiotics to correct. The older the foal gets, the less the chances are for remediation. If you want to fix this, you need to get some sort of plan and do it now. There are ways of reducing scar tissue as well. From what I can tell, the vet has been ineffectual and has caused more harm.I find it hard to believe that he suggested euth without atleast cutting the tendon (which should be a last resort as well, but still far from death) Instead he went beyond that. Just how bad is this situation? See a good farrier while the window is still open. 

As for the back legs, the farrier will get them balanced as well. He's growing and so wonky, unbalanced, spreading his legs, bum getting high,etc. If he is splaying his hind legs, he's either trying to reach grass with that wonky body. (usually more noticeable in the fronts) or he's brought his feet forward under him to take the weight off the front because they're hurting, or he's just plain wonky. 

The hoof will always be what it needs to be by the way it is used, so if he's not standing squarely and turned out, the hoof will adapt. Walk with your own foot turned out. The inside of the whole foot is getting the brunt, so it jams up taller than the outside. This pathological growth locks in this stance. If the farrier gets him balanced again, he will be freed up all the way to his spine. As he gets older, his body will fill out and his legs will straighten out automatically. Get a good balancing trim, stay on top of it and then work it to develop it and keep it....that means move. That's how you get rid of hoof pathology. You get things right, then walk away from it. That's your homework, moving and fighting thrush. Also feed minerals as well. Copper and zinc are very important to hoof strength. Hope this helps... Pictures would help a lot.
  • So glad you saw this one, mc!