Quick Post

Leg Wound

Leg Wound
  • My horse has a wound on his back leg. He can walk on it but he favors it when standing. Its on his hock and his hock. Im guessing he was kicked by another horse. Anyway, he wont let me clean it good enough but a local vet gave me some Vetericyn VF. I called another vet and he said it could cost up to $400 cause he would have to sedate him to flush it, etc. But neither vet saw it, I just described the wounds over the phone. So, here are some pictures of the actual wound. Can someone please tell me if it will need vet assistance or will it heal on its own and to continue Vetericyn. In the second photo below, the white stuff is some medicine. http://i41.tinypic.com/13z1g1z.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/2d1lm42.jpg
  • I don't like to mess around with leg wounds - too many important structures in there. And now you're 24 hours late... Have a vet out. I'm more concerned about the wound on the fetlock than the one on the inside of the hock.
  • I would definitely get an antimicrobial cleanser like Hibiclens and wash both wounds well. As Durango said, the hock wound appears superficial but the one on his fetlock looks deep and should be checked out. Your vet is very expensive! My vet charges a $40 call fee, $75 to sedate and we go from there.....Could you at least hose it off really well. He would stop fussing about it after a little bit and you could clean the muck off and get some ointment on there or would he let you put his foot in a bucket filled with warm water and cleanser?
  • Is it too cold where you are to run the hose on it for about a half hour? You have to make her let you. One thing I tried once was, when the horse moved away from the hose, I moved the hose so she was walking into the spray as she moved. [':)']
    Use that vetricyn and you won't have any problems. I really like the gel vetricyn because it's thicker and sticks better. Not sure if yours is gel or not. My horsefarm neighbors in MS would ALWAYS rely on that stuff. They  had probably 35 head and ended up being distributors cuz they used it so much. It's worth every penny. I'm with the first vet.