Quick Post

Getting Winston to eat his psyllium

Getting Winston to eat his psyllium
  • The vet said Winston has significant sand in his intestines so I am supposed to give him psyllium but it has to be given dry..... he is on a soaked pellet diet due to missing all but one upper molar so how do I do that? I tried sprinkling it over some senior feed and he worked at it for a bit but most of the psyllium fell through and then he didn't want it anymore..... I'll try to put it on top of his soaked pellets tomorrow morning when he's hungrier than he was tonight but any ideas for how to get it down him?
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that stuff that's sold in Wally-world taken as a liquid? I'd be doing some online research on that one! 
  • The kind the feed store sold me is dry powder. Apparently it gets gummy when it is wet which is how it grabs onto the sand and transports it out of the horse?
  • again, what's the difference if it goes in gummy or gets gummy after it gets there? The stuff at Walmart is dry, too. (and orange! [':D'] ) Same stuff but only a few $$.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm arguing. I really don't know how to get that in him if he chooses not to eat it...
  • I use Sand Clear. It's in pellet form. Would he eat the pellets dry BEFORE feeding his soaked feed? 
  • He's missing all but one molar on the top so can't chew pellets and I'm not sure if it's his lips or tongue but half the food that goes in falls out. If it gets wet, it clumps into kind of hard globs, Hunter. I think I got some in him this morning when he was hungrier so I'll keep sprinkling it over the top of his already soaked pellets. I was thinking if I split it into 2 feedings instead of so much at once, that might go better too.
  • Doing the 2nd week of psyllium after a week off. Will check his manure to see if things are improving after this bunch. He's adjusted to having it sprinkled on top of his feed, snorts but doesn't knock his bucket over anymore.