Quick Post

Ringworm???

Ringworm???
  • hey guys! what do I do for ringworm? im actually not sure my mare has it cuz i really dont know what it looks like but... she has these spots on her about half an inch wide an the skin kinda peels off and the flies just love sitting on those spots. Can anyone help?
  • Sounds like some kind of fungal thing going on. Ringworm? In my mind it's not that important what to call it. I had a horse that would get a line of it on the underside of his mane and the section of mane next to his neck would drop off. His mane looked so perfectly thinned! Anyway rain rot is the same family. My first line of defense is a dandruff shampoo and leave the suds on for 20 min before rinsing. Do that every few days. Listerine can kill fungal infection. Some people use a diluted bleach spray.

What kind of horse do you have and are you Western ?  English? 

Hope things clear up. Not used to seeing flies attacking those specific areas. hmmmm.... 
  • There are also good anti-fungal shampoos out there. You soap up the horse (or the affected area) and leave it on for 5(?) minutes, then rinse off.
  • Hey hunterseat! My horse is approximately 8 yrs old an I really dont know what she is... just a mix i guess.  and i ride western.  i don't do shows or anything just have fun riding with my horses!   thanx for  the advice!  I'm gonna do some research on ringworm, etc. and see what I can find out. 
  • One of my horses had a cut on his chest, so my aunt got some goop that was yellow, i don't remember the name of it and mixed a little of it with fly spray and I put that on his cut. Healed it right up. 
    What your horse has though does sound kind of fungal, you might want to go to your tack store and look at antifungals or even the drug store. Diablo had something in his ear, it was white spots basically. We used the foot stuff, I can't remember the name of it, but it was an antifungal and it did it's job lol No more white spots. You could also ask your vet, take a picture and take it in and ask his/her opinion on what to do. 
    Hope your baby gets better!