Quick Post

Drinking Soda

Drinking Soda
  • My horses love sprite or any kind of carbonated drink. I found this out the hard way when set my bottle down and came back it was tipped over and empty and one of the horses standing suspiciously next to it. But I have avoid sharing soda with them because thinking it is bad for them? Sugar plus carbonation? Sometimes I give them a little bit but flat. Just wondering if anyone else lets their horses drink soda and how much?
  • We have two that LOVE Mountain Dew. However, it is rare that they get any, mostly to amuse people. They share a 12 ounce bottle and in reality, most of it ends up on the ground.
  • We had a horse who loved cherry pepsi and he would pick up the can in his teeth and lift his head up to drink it, rarely spilled any lol we didn't give it to him on purpose and in fact we had to stop drinking it because if it was within reach of him he would drink it and we were worried it would make him sick and he wouldn't drink anything else, not even regular flavored pepsi 
    My grandma used to have a horse who drank beer in the same fashion lol I know its not soda but it reminded me of that lol 
  • The horse in the picture above likes beer as well, though it is even more rare for them to get beer. I will share my dew but not my beer!
  • I think they like anything sweet ':)'  I doubt that it would really hurt them in small amounts.  My horse in high school would hold the rim of an apple juice can and tip his head up to drink it.

Ours will lick anything sweet you pour on the palm of your hand.
  • We actually mentioned it to our vet once that we occasionally gave them a dew and she was not concerned.
  • I took care of a Standardbred once who loved cola, but only when it was flat.  She was patient enough to wait and when she decided it was ready she would tease for it.  One of her stablemates would only drink Budweiser.
  • I used to give my 1st horse RC Cola (from a glass bottle). He loved it. I was kinda peeved when I found out some people that lived next to the pasture gave him beer. Really, though, I doubt that a can of beer is going to cause any problems with an animal the size of a horse.
  • That's good to know. Also glad I am not the only one who has given soda to horse. I just wasnt sure if true it would cause colic and how much. Guess it would take a lot or it would just go through them normally haha. So far my horses were not able to find beer unattended lol. guess humans more protective of beer than soda. [':D']