Quick Post

Arthritis treatments?

Arthritis treatments?
  • Chocolate, the appendix QH we are feed-leasing appears to have arthritis in his hips, hind legs.  He moves pretty stiffly for the first 5 minutes when we ride, then seems to loosen up and in the past at least, did fine.  I have him on MSM and recently added yucca.

He has been a really nice horse for my younger daughter to use and because he does have nice gaits, my older daughter was considering using him to attain the next rating level in Pony Club which means jumping 2' 9".  In the last month, he has starting "misbehaving" by crowhopping, wringing his tail and sometimes bolting when cantering and jumping (12"-2').  We also noticed his saddle was suddenly hitting his withers and he just seems to have lost condition in his back/loin area. We corrected the saddle fit but it didn't help with his behavior.  I upped his hay, added some beet pulp to help with his condition without making him hot.

Yesterday an equine acupuncturist checked him out and he was very sore from his hips over his rump and down his hind legs.  She gave him a treatment and it was evident he felt better.  She said the loss of condition is due to pain and his behavior makes sense to us now.  He will get another treatment next week.

My question is, aside from things like MSM, yucca, exercise, what can be done to help a horse like this long-term?  He is a feed-lease so I obviously do not want to spend an arm and a leg and having arthritis myself, I know there are flare-ups and times when I'm fine.  Are there arthritis meds for horses that aren't that expensive and are legal to use and compete?
  • The only thing I know of is glucosamine and chondroitin (sp?)and HA along with those others. I began feeding it to Kabarr a couple of years ago when his joints began 'clicking' when the mud was really bad and he wouldn't get out of the stall. It helped that. I also take it for my arthritis (and, yes, I also have good and bad days; usually depending upon what the barometer is doing. If you're talking about pain medications or herbs for pain, you'd probably have to check with your discipline or breed regulations. I think some of them vary in what is or is not 'legal'. I had a big Morgan mare that developed arthritis and was gimpy when I'd begin a ride but after about 5 minutes was fine. I didn't jump, but I did gymkhana on her. (Oh, and my dad roped off her.)
  • Went for a ride this afternoon and Kelly and the neighbor girl stole my horse so they could ride double so I ended up riding Chocolate.  We just walked the whole way but it seemed that his hind would give out a little at times and he did not like going down hill........ poor guy.  He really doesn't like picking up his hind feet to have them cleaned either.
  • I'm wondering if he has something going on in his back, or the SI joint.
  • I've had good results from joint supplements.  Would that make his hips go out? It's amazing how a misaligned jaw can affect the whole horse. Lots to consider.
  • I think he is feeling better ':)'  When we went down to feed, he came galloping up the pasture and looked comfortable.  I hope his supplements and acupuncture can give him some functional relief.  He was supposed to go to a show jumping competition this weekend with Shay but she's back on Mr. Reliable-Spirit.
  • Has a vet checked the horse out thoroughly? We have a horse that has serious arthritis in her knees. She has had shots directly in her joints which helped for a time but not for long. She is also been on another shot routine and we just started the 2nd round of that which helps some. Our horses was a serious barrel racer prior to us getting her and that probably accelerated her issues. I would think jumping for your horse with this condition isn't going to do the horse any good. I would think that accupuncture would just mask the pain but is not going to do anything to fix it. Just my 1 1/2 cents!
  • He's a feed-lease horse we've had since Thanksgiving, just turned 12 and up until April was doing well.  His owner has had him since he was 3 and jumped him quite a bit and then went to college and he kind of sat for a while until we took him in..... If it is serious arthritis he'll have to go back ':('  I need to get the vet out for our West Nile shots so will get him checked out at the same time.  Bummer because he's a very nice, big, athletic horse.....

• I use a pure glucosamine product for the Danes that we have here at Horse.com  Animed glucosamine along with the MSM by Animed. 

I have not used it on any of the horses but definite results with the Danes.

• Sometime the joint supplement does the trick! If he's an otherwise keeper then it would be worth a shot. It sometimes takes several weeks to really take effect so you have to give it time. I take the stuff myself, as do the dogs. We are all spry as teenagers once it gets in our system. [':)']
  • Unfortunately, there is no cure for arthritis. The best move is to make sure that the feet are balanced strong and confident, with a heel first landing and no torque on the hoof or jamming up from the ground to the spine. Free-flowing, confident movement. Out 24/7 and not getting stiff in a stall also helps. It will nicely back up the acupuncturist. Get loose and stay loose kind of thing. Yucca is good, but promotes IR. I have started on a new product called Move-Ease. It has devil's claw and other things, no yucca. It comes Dr. Kellon approved, which is why I bit the bullet and got it. Its working wonderfully with my 27 year old. She's a new horse! You can find it at mybesthorse.com Decent price too.