Quick Post

Wormers

Wormers
  • I have a hard time finding wormers for horses. The use to sell Equivalan. When I went to the places that sold it they told me the main supplier has been out for 2 months. They said they would call me if they ever did get any but I doubt it ...it has been what 4 months? Any way the vet told me I could use Abendezole. I have and it works. There is another one people are using. They told me Abendezole is not for horses and I have no clue what I'm doing. They use Ivermetcin. They inject it. Ok... I have done my research and both are good wormers and are best used in combination but for some reason I am still skeptical about Ivermetcin as I have read a lot about the negatives of injecting ivermetcin but it only comes as intermuscular/injectable here. Was told I can just mix the powder with food. I don't have an equine vet in the area, I did but was told too busy and the ones I end up talking to are for small animals. Just want to hear your thoughts on this. Basically sticking with Abendezole as feel safe with it and it is oral. Plus all the horses gained weight since I used it and have seen tons of worms of all kinds come out. Once I graduate I will most likely be able to go around and ask more people and find out what they use.
  • We get our wormers from Tractor Supply or through a horse catalog. We use different wormers each time we worm: Safeguard, Equimax, Ivermectin Gold. All these are safe for horses of all ages and are all paste wormers. I would never give a horse an injectable wormer, as I would not feel safe doing it. We have found the paste wormers work best. You can go to Valley Vet on line and see what they offer for wormers. It might help you....good luck.
  • Yeah, I don't feel safe injecting either. Have read downsides to injecting wormers and have used oral but unfortunately don't have a wide choice. Thanks for the info. ':D'
  • That's the biggest problem, there is not a whole lot of choices when it comes to horse wormers. I guess that's why they say to "rotate" your wormers.
  • Haha hard to rotate when only one is available. Will check out the site but I am hoping to find a source here as shipping it will be very hard.
  • Can I mail you some?
  • Wow, Thanks. Really appreciate the offer but it is complicated, that's how I describe getting mail/packages here. I really have to use FedEx or something like that if I ever expect it to come on time intact. I'm planning of ordering hoof nippers and some other things this month so probably will include it. Thanks again for the offer.
  •   The injectable liquid Ivermectin for cattle should never be injected in horses.  25 years ago there was a similar product made for horses and they&nbsp';p'ulled it off the market because horses were having adverse reactions to it and dying.  It is completely safe to be given ORALLY at a rate of 1ml/100#.  It is the same dewormer as what is in Eqvalan
  • [':D'] I was able to find a place. I got the nippers and Ivermetcin Paste. It wasn't the brand I want but good enough and it was all pretty expensive. I got the last 3 of their stock for the paste. The said they might restock next week. So right now I got what I need. PHEW!
  • Awesome! I am glad you got it.
    Did they have any different paste wormers so you can rotate?
  • They seem to only sell Ivertmecin, two different brands. Should have asked that. XD Was just so overwhelmed that I saw hoof nippers [>:]