Quick Post

Udders?

Udders?
  • Ok, as I've said in most of my posts I'm a first time horse owner so a lot of this is new to me. 

Before going out for a ride a few days ago I was checking my horse over for ticks.  Some had been getting on her (help me out on a horse are they udders or teats?) so I checked them too.  I noticed when I looked between them that there was a bunch of gunk.  Looked like dried up black skin with stinky waxy crud in it.  I used a cloth and got some of it off, she didn't act like it was sore.  Now it looks kind of red.  I also noticed at that time that she was dripping something, milk I assume.  Tonight I checked her again and she acted like they were a little sensitive and there were some more drips. 

As far as the gunk goes I figured that was poor horsie hygiene on my part.  I never though to clean there before.  Is the milk thing something that happens during a heat cycle?  I can rarely tell when she is in heat anyway and I haven't noticed her holding her tail off center (which is pretty much her only sign of being in heat, if she even does that.) 

Can anyone fill me in? 
  • Can't help you with the dripping but if you slather some KY jelly up between her teats, that will help soften the gunk and you can use a regular mild soap to wash her off.  Worked wonders in my guy's sheath.  I was hoping the neighbors weren't watching as I went out there with my glove and bottle of KY!!!
  •   The waxy gunk is normal buildup.  It is important to remove it as some mares will distroy their tails when they get an excess amount.  Just rub it off with your hand or a wet washcloth.  If you slather anything on it you'll just attract more dirt and debris up there.  If your mare has foaled in the past, she could (but unlikely) be dripping milk when she comes into heat but most likely it's just body secretions (clear fluid)  in response to fluctuations in hormones.  A diet rich in green grass and fresh alfalfa will also contribute to the dripping.  I'd keep an eye on it but wouldn't be too concerned.
  • Thanks guys.
       I don't know if she's ever foaled before.  She does eat lots of grass. Before I got her she was just turned out on pasture so she doesn't get a whole lot of hay and grain.  I appreciate your help!