Quick Post

Master Miles - UPDATE 8/3

Master Miles - UPDATE 8/3
  • SEE MORE RECENT POST BELOW FOR UPDATE
    I'm guessing most of you know about this horse.  Last start as a harness racer at 12 WITH the bad ankle.  Over $700K lifetime earnings.  Bound for the meat killer.  Saved by a previous owner and sent to ASAP. 

I wanted to show you some of the pinfire scars.  There are more under the backs of his ankles but you get the idea.  Basically any joint they could fire they did.

Sometimes it's freeze fire, sometimes heat.  It's illegal in Canada from what I know. 
  • Here's the boy, just doesn't look that comfortable.  The Sr.Feed has joint sup in it but...  *sigh*  Might have to start buying some.  You can see the club foot and enlarged ankle.  That leg is really weak.  I think it's thrown his whole structure off.  He's about 17.2 so... big boy. (here's his owie.  Looks better!)
  • I was going to say his R front looked like a club foot. Is that from his pin firing, or do you know? His hock looks pretty good, actually. Glad to see it's healing so well.

I don't know about pin firing in Canada. I looked at a Standardbred before I bought Kabarr. He was from Canada and had been pin fired - not that much, though. He was a nice horse and I liked him a lot (I've also owned a stb previously) but he was 16.2 and I couldn't mount from the ground. I used to be able to do that but a bad back prevented me on him. Now, I have to use a mounting block to get on little ole Kabarr because I herniated 2 disks in 2005. [8|]

• That's so sad. Here he was doing a magnificent job in life and because of that he paid more dearly. The people in receipt of all that money, still couldn't do right by him, except the previous one that got him back....too late, but better than nothing. I hate the way industry has people thinking about horses and the way they treat them. Makes me mad. I can see his extreme discomfort and unsteadiness. The unsteadiness comes from pain. The management here says that pain is the priority for treatment. Previcox will help you avoid ulcers, rather than Bute. It's good to see that he is out with others and moving around avoiding stiffness, but he looks like he'd be happier at this point lying down. I would encourage it by breaking a bale of hay up on the ground. He will gravitate to it and all his new friends will gather around and have a picnic with him. What could be better? Just make sure that he isn't roughed up by the others. He's in no position to defend himself in this situation. Glad you started with the lesser supps that come in the Sr. Feed. That's the way to go, start small and work your way up. This guy says different, though. I think he's past this point. I wouldn't worry about the senior feed at all. I don't even have to look at the feed tag to know that there isn't enough of anything in there anyway, except a lot of iron and the ability to become Cushingoid on it down the road. Senior feed is sweeter than some of the new "lite" feeds, which are safer. He's not exactly a senior yet either, in terms of metabolism....just the pain getting in the way. I'd make up a special emergency diet for him instead of buying feed. Here's what I'd put in it. a) 1lb. of beet pulp covered with 4" of hot water and soaked for 1 hour, then dumped somewhere where other horses won't get at it and definitely not down the plumbing! A pail with a tight fitting lid is perfect. Then fill with hot water again, dump it again, fill again to just getting soupy. Nice warm mash, lots of nutrients, lots of fiber, excellent for weight gain and is a good/safe replacement for grain. You could go 1/2lb. beet pulp and 1/2lb. oats, though, if he needs some encouragement to eat it. Make sure the beet pulp has no molasses in it and you can increase to 2lbs/day, especially if the pain has diminished his hay intake. If you lose the fiber, you get ulcers...now that's expensive to heal. Peppermints are no cure all, but they will encourage him to eat when he doesn't feel like it. You can do the beet pulp thing at home, put the lid on the bucket and go....whatever works. The water in it will be good as well. If he doesn't feel like eating much, he won't be drinking much either and water is everything...keeps everything working. b) 4oz. of fresh ground flax. Really great anti-inflammatory. I'm actually keeping my 25 year old off of joint supps right now with it. A $10 coffee grinder and grind fresh, or you can grind up to 5 days ahead of time and keep it dark in the fridge. These are the perfect balance of omegas and the only oil he requires. c) Vit. E Gelcaps for his immune system from Walmart for people. 4 of them, or however it works out vs. his weight. It should be 2IU/lb. of body weight, so if he weighs 800lbs., then 1600IU Vit E.= 4-4oomg gel caps. Drop those in the bucket, he'll never know they're there. d)1 heaping tbn. of iodized salt to insure he drinks more than what's in beet pulp. Salt drives thirst. Feel free to add another tbn. if you are not satisfied with his water consumption. e) Add Vit. C for now, so get some when you get the E. He'll need 1000IU. This is good for stress. Good for helping get over the hump. f) This one is a good one, expensive, but worth its weight in gold. Feeding this for a few months will also be a biggie for getting him over the hump. RECOVERY EQ HA. http://www.recoveryeq.com/recovery_EQ_HA.htm It's got Reversatrol in it. The HA is also a better route to go. I've used this stuff and I was looking at a different horse in 6 months. Even if you could afford it for a few months, it would be a biggie to getting him sent on his way with recovery. g) Minerals...another important one. I'm talking about the traces. The magnesium is a major mineral and will cover you there with the Recovery. You can throw them in the bucket as well, or offer them free choice. I've checked the analysis of it and by using it, you'll be able to delete the addition of C, but will still have to add a couple of E gel caps. You'll still need the flax and beet pulp and salt. Use the beet pulp as the base/carrier for the additions. The magnesium in it is really a good one. Glucosamine is good, but it promotes IR. So does vitamin C. So why I say temporary on the Recovery HA. with both C and Glucosamine. You don't want an IR horse, so take care not to feed him towards it. Sure would help him get started though. So does the sugar/starch in that senior feed promote IR. You could throw a handful of alfalfa cubes to soak with that beet pulp if you want to further boost things. Another important thought is ulcers and probiotics to avoid them. Pain and not eating will bring them on fast, even without the addition of Bute. Ration Plus is the only one that has enough billions of good bacteria to do the job and its a pre and probiotic as well. Along with the E, we're talking about his immune system and next to ulcers, a heck of a lot cheaper to avoid, rather than having to treat them. That's why the fiber in the beet pulp is so important. The bag of beet pulp and the flax seeds will last forever and in the long run, much more $ savings than buying a feed bag every month that doesn't cut it anyway. Just compare with what he needs here vs. what's on that feed tag in the barn and see the holes in the bag for yourself. Halfway measures, get halfway results. I'd also be bandaging all four legs with no bows. The thickness of them will offset his pinch points when gets up and avoid sores on his hock points. They will also support and add warmth and improve circulation. As for his feet, I can see what his stance has done to them. His feet will always be what they need to be in order to survive. In this case though, its not helping. The pain in the front legs has had him standing under to take the weight off them and he's spraddled in the hinds to help with his stability. I would imagine that he does not have enough heel in the hinds and a medial/lateral imbalance going on. Once his feet get this way, it makes him stand this way whether he wants to or not. It puts him in a locked room, adding imbalance and tension to those joints above, so he needs to be balanced. You may need to build up the heel in the hinds to help him stand straight and get the stress off those joints. Good balance and pain therapy will work together to fix this. I hope this helps you help him. Give him a kiss for me will you?
  • Geez! I had all this in easily defined paragraphs for easy reading, then this happens when I post it...nice forum.....grrr! Life is confusing enough.
  • I like his belly, he is getting enough.  [':D'] What concerns me the most is his expression and stance.  I see a HUGE difference in him from before.  I don't think it is joint supplements as much as pain management at this point, jmho.
  • Just a thought.  Do you do any maintenance leg care?
  • Missy you are a friend to horses.  I appreciate all you wrote and read every bit.  I hope I didn't mislead you but Miles is around 18-19yrs.  I've had him for nearly 7 years now.  I agree with you about racing.  He's 17.2, eats like a pig and is alpha with only a wave of his hind hoof.  I think he was dozing a lot that day, standing up.  I brushed them all (3) and he did a lot of head nodding and drooping, then startling when I walked around him.  Here's his feed. 
    http://www.admani.com/allianceequine/SENIORGLOHorseFeed.htm
    &nbsp';P'lus I double it with alfalfa pellets because he has a couple of dead teeth and the vet said he's not processing hay well, thus the belly.  Hind gut stuff.   I had him on joint sup for years but the Sr.Feed has is in it.  I'm thinking it's not enough.  Steve Johnson does his feet every 6 weeks (since I've had him) and just trimmed him last week, I think it was.  I'm not sure about his heels but I can get a shot of his feet.  I know he's WAY off structurally and has been for years.  While in KY he stayed to himself and was listless.  When I found out I got him home asap.  I was considering leaving him up there with Bully but he wasn't thriving.    

I don't do much with him but he's had a LOT of accupuncture, massage and Bowen therapy.  Carla (Bowen) did some light stuff with him - she uses one of those lights.  She got good results and I may have her come back but I can't put but so much into him.  

I emailed the ASAP director about him.  She didn't really respond to the subject of having him put down.  She only said she had one just like him - except not lame.  [8|]  Then she asked me if Bully was really all the way blind.  *beats head against wall*  Why yes, just like I told you a couple of years ago. *sigh*

I think some people feel a horse would rather be in pain then dead.  I adopted him by contract that I had to have their approval to have him put down.  That's one reason my blind horse is being boarded at a retirement home.  He's safe and comfortable for now.  (not so with my herd)
  • I clicked on your link to see the analysis and got this page couldn't be found. Then I googled the feed and also got this page couldn't be found. Chances are, you are right, he needs more help in the joint supplement department and the Recovery will up things to 10,000mgs. delivered. But it also has Reversatrol in it as well, which is a big plus. Without even seeing the Admani analysis, I know this stuff is better, plus the addition of HA in it. If this horse was in my barn, I'd leave the Admani and try the Recovery for a couple of months.....or...... Another consideration is Jiagulan/AAKG mix. When you have soft tissue damage, it impedes blood flow and that's where the clean up and healing happens. Jiagulan is not expensive. (www.mybesthorse.com) There is also a product there called Move-Ease that deals with soft tissue problems. It was developed by a fellow student and is getting rave reviews right now. Speaking to the owner of this website will put you on the cutting edge of things you can do for him. Definitely worth exploring. When you are looking for help and the right thing to do, don't go to the feed store, go to the experts. And for that, you couldn't be in a better place than this. If you feel that this horse is not living any kind of quality life at all, that he always looks this way, then I'd call in the vet and get his opinion. If he says that this horse has suffered enough, can't be helped and suggests euthanizing, then I'd get it writing and take that back to the rescue. His blindness has nothing to do with it, that is not what it causing his suffering. I would try that site and see where it leads you first. If not, then you are needed to advocate for him either way. Be advised that the vet may know nothing about this site I posted. This is really cutting edge stuff that is seeing improvements. The Move-Ease has been given the nod by Dr. Kellon herself...that's enough for me right there. Best wishes...
  • If you feel that this horse is not living any kind of quality life at all, that he always looks this way, then I'd call in the vet and get his opinion. If he says that this horse has suffered enough, can't be helped and suggests euthanizing, then I'd get it writing and take that back to the rescue. His blindness has nothing to do with it, that is not what it causing his suffering.

My opinion also except from the sounds of this "rescue director" I would get 2 or 3 vet letters and also farrier?
  • Thanks.  I was on the road to recommendation letters for the blind gelding who is still in KY.  Miles is sighted.  Bully, the blind is doing really well, come to find out.  I had Miles staying in KY too but brought him home when I found out he wasn't thriving.  ADM is great stuff but I will definitely look into your site, missy.  Thanks to you and DH and everyone.
    www.admani.com  That's the site and I guess you'd have to look at the Equine then keep digging for Senior Glo.  The company is Archer Daniel Midland Alliance Nutrition.

http://www.admani.com/Horse/Products/Horse%20SeniorGlo%20Feed.htm 
  • It's been a little while since I got the news and seeing Missyclaire on here I thought I should post this. Some of you may already know this.

I got recommendations from therapist (Carla Paratore), hoof practitioner (Steve Johnson) and retirement care-giver/equine dentist (Dawn Darnell) to have Miles put down. He was steady losing weight as my others thrived and got fat. The rescue director had a FIT.  I do respect her and decided that I would ship him to KY where my blind horse thrived.  So Danica got a new home, Zag and Miles went back to KY, and I moved from MS to CT.

Recently I got an update.  MILES HAS A GIRLFRIEND. He spent his 1st 12 yrs as a money making machine, no herd, no pasture, no bonding.... no girlfriend. Though he did bond with my Danica - EVERYONE DOES.

So he, too, is thriving at Dawn's and I'm glad I gave him another chance. He's living the high-life and all he needs is a drink with one of those little umbrellas. [':D']
  • Well, I was going to get off here and get ready for work, but I saw this. I'm so glad to hear that Miles is doing better! I know it takes a HUGE load off your mind.
  • Yay!!  So glad to hear.  I'm a firm believer in keeping horses in a herd if possible so it's neat to hear that he has found his place in a herd ':)'